(Join along with me any time if you need a head start or moral support for your holiday crafting. You can read more details here.)
I’ve made some progress on my crocheted snowflake cards in the past week, but I haven’t had time for blocking or starching. I found that most of the snowflakes are larger than the cards I already have, so I’m going to buy bigger cards (half fold size rather than quarter page size).
I also reviewed my Holiday Stashdown Challenge list again. As we get closer to my self imposed deadline, I made some decisions about what I can still reasonably accomplish. Interestingly, since I have actually destashed quite a lot this year, I’m short on yarn that would be ideal for some of the people on my list. (For instance, I don’t think my uncle would look great in the more feminine colors that remain now that most of the grey yarns are used up.)
So here are my thoughts on the rest of my list.
The “Still to Make” List
2) Another scarf for one of the ladies in my dad’s family. I have a back up plan here – I found a scarf that I made a few years ago but never wore which I can gift if I don’t have time to make something new. I don’t want to leave her out since I already finished scarves for the other three women in my dad’s family.
3) My Uncle M – A hat. I may need to buy yarn for this but I should still have time for a quick crocheted had in bulky yarn.
The Maybe List
1) CG, my BFF from high school - I’m not as worried about time for this one, since we usually don’t meet until after the holidays anyway. I would still like to make something with this yarn that I bought with her in mind.
2-3 ) My sister and my mom - I’m at the point where I may not make anything for these lovely ladies. I made my sister a bedspread last year (ok, I finished it in March, but it was for Christmas, 2011!) and I’m working on a bedspread for my mom’s birthday in February. If I have time, I think I’ll make house slippers or finish this shawl for my mom.
3) MC, my special guy – If I have time, I’ll make him a pair of house slippers or a new hat since he has pretty well worn out the one I made him a few years ago.
Bumped off the list
1) My cat – I just made him a new cat blanket so I’m not too worried about holiday gifts.
2) JM, one of my high school BFFs – I don’t think he will feel sad if he doesn’t get a homemade gift, so I decided to save myself the pressure.
3 – 6) Aunt K and Uncle T, and RP and CA, my colleagues and work buddies for the last four years - We don’t always exchange gifts, so I decided not to add the handmade burden for this year.
7 – 8 ) Mom’s dog and Dad’s cat - These two were always a long shot!
How is your holiday crafting going? Are you reconsidering your list or just getting started? Feel free to share your holiday crafting journey in the comments!
I’m blogging daily throughout October. Visit I Saw You Dancing for more Blogtoberfest bloggers and CurlyPops for Blogtoberfest giveaways. Search #blogtoberfest12 on Twitter.