I’m continuing my 30-day celebration of crochet motifs with a roundup of over 20 tips, tricks, and techniques for joining, finishing, adding embellishments, sizing, and doing just about anything else you might need to a granny square! This roundup includes photo and video tutorials, quick tips, and ultimate guide blog posts from some of my favorite crochet designers and bloggers. Whether you’re a newbie or an experienced motif pro, you’re sure to find something new in this list.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
This first set of posts includes helpful tips and information you can use before or after you start crocheting.
- Everything You Ever Wanted to Know About Crochet Granny Squares by Crochet Concupiscence.
- 3 Essential Rules for Working on Granny Square Crochet Blankets by Tinking Turtle.
- How To Design a Beautiful Blanket Using Granny Square Patterns from Different Sources by Underground Crafter (that’s me!).
These tutorials will give you different options for changing colors or yarn within a single motif.
- Standing Crochet Stitches by B.Hooked Crochet.
- Oombawka Design has a series of tutorials on joining new yarns:
If you want your squares to have a clean look, try these techniques.
- Invisible Finish Technique by Oombawka Design.
- 3 Ways to Weave in Ends by The Feisty Redhead for Craftsy.
Sizing Your Squares and Blankets
Sometimes, it can be a challenge to get your squares or the finished blankets to the size you want. Try these tips.
- Getting Afghan Squares to the Size You Need by Moogly.
- How To Resize Crochet Afghan Patterns by FaveCrafts via Underground Crafter (that’s me!).
There are so many different ways to join granny squares. Pick an option that looks attractive for your project and that fits the intended use.
- I have a series of photo tutorials for my favorite ways to join squares:
- Tight Braid Join by Moogly.
- 14 Free Tutorials for Joining Crochet Blanket Squares via The Stitchin’ Mommy.
Finishing and Embellising
Once your squares are finished, use these finishing techniques.
- How To Add a Simple Fringe to Your Crochet Projects by Oombawka Design.
If you enjoyed this roundup, here are some other posts you might like!