I’m excited to share my first free knitting pattern on the blog today!
The pattern is available in newborn, infant, and toddler sizes.
This post contains affiliate links.
This pattern is a great introduction to knitting bobbles. The hat is knit flat and then seamed, so you only have to worry about the increases and decreases that create the bobbles and the shaping.
Enjoy the pattern, and don’t forget to add it to your favorites or queue on Ravelry by clicking the button below!
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
This bobbled hat with stretchy ribbing makes a perfect gift for a special little girl!
- Newborn: 12.5″ circumference, 5” height, (Infant: 14.5” circumference, 6” height, Toddler: 17.5” circumference, 7” height)
- HiKoo by Skacel Collection Simpliworsted (55% Merino wool/28% acrylic/17% nylon, 3.5 oz/100 g, 140 yd/128 m) – 1 skein ea in 035 Turkish Coffee (CA) and 015 Ripe Raspberry (CB), or approximately 140 yd (128 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US 7/4.5 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 26 sts in ribbing pattern = 4” (10 cm) when gently stretched. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- bob – bobble (see Special Stitch Pattern)
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CO – cast on
- ea – each
- k – knit
- p – purl
- p2tog – purl 2 sts together
- p3tog – purl 3 sts together
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side)
- sl – slip
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- WS – wrong (back) side
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
Special Stitch Pattern
- bob – bobble – (K1, p1, k1) in same st.
- Hat is knit flat from brim to crown and then seamed.
- Always slip sts knitwise.
Stretchy ribbing (cupcake base)
- With CA, CO 82 (94, 106) sts.
- Row 1: Sl 1, *k2, p2; rep from * to last st, p1.
- Rep Row 1 until ribbing measures approximately 3”, fasten off CA with long yarn tail for seaming.
Crown (cupcake frosting)
- Row 2: (WS) With CB, p across.
- Row 3: (RS): Sl 1, p across.
- Row 4: Sl 1, *bob in next st, p3tog; rep from * across to last st, p1.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Row 6: Sl 1, *p3tog, bob; rep from * across to last st, p1.
- Row 7: Rep Row 3.
- Rep Rows 4-7 until hat measures approximately 4” (5”, 6”), ending after Row 7.
Begin shaping crown
- Row 8: Sl 1, *(k1, p1) in next st, p3tog; rep from * across to last st, p1. (62, 71, 80 sts)
- Row 9: Rep Row 3.
- Row 10: Sl 1, *p2tog, k1; rep from * across to last st, p1. (42, 48, 54 sts)
- Row 11: Rep Row 3.
- Row 12:
- Newborn and Toddler sizes only: Rep Row 8. (32, 41 sts)
- Infant size only: Sl 1, k1, *(k1, p1) in next st, p3tog; rep from * across to last 2 sts, p2. (37 sts)
- Row 13: Rep Row 3.
- Row 14:
- Newborn and Toddler sizes only: Rep Row 10. (22, 28 sts)
- Infant size only: Sl 1, *p2tog, k1; rep from * across to last 3 sts, k1, p2. (26 sts)
- Row 15: Rep Row 3:
- Row 16:
- Newborn and Infant sizes only: Rep Row 8. (17, 20 sts)
- Toddler size only: Sl 1, k1, *(k1, p1) in next st, p3tog; rep from * across to last 2 sts, p2. (22 sts)
- Row 17: Rep Row 3.
- Row 18:
- Newborn and infant sizes only: Rep Row 10 (12, 14 sts).
- Toddler size only: Sl 1, *p2tog, k1; rep from * across to last 3 sts, k1, p2. (16 sts)
- Row 19: Sl 1, *p2tog across to last st, p1. (7, 8, 9 sts) Fasten off CB with long yarn tail for seaming.
- With WS facing, with CB in yarn needle, weave through sts on needle to close top of hat. Line up rows and use CB to join with mattress st until end of cupcake crown. With CA in yarn needle, line up rows and use CA to join ribbing with mattress st. Weave ends inside of hat.