Since this summer, I’ve been writing a monthly guest post on charity crochet for Oombawka Design Crochet. The Drawstring Beanie with Yarrow Flower pattern was originally published as one of those posts, and I’ve updated the pattern to include four additional sizes.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand. While this pattern was originally designed as a “chemo cap,” it works just as well as a cozy fall or winter hat for anyone in the family. If you do choose to make a “chemo cap” (with this, or really, with any pattern), keep in mind that soft yarn and minimal seaming are kindest on sensitive scalps. As some patients have heightened chemical sensitivities, you may also want to consider using organic yarn. I used Lion Brand Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton Yarn for this pattern. It’s not only extra soft, but also machine washable and appropriate for most patients with allergies and chemical sensitivities. Since cotton yarn can shrink unpredictably, I designed this hat to feature a drawstring tie that keeps it firmly on the head. I also added a small yarrow flower embellishment. Many cultures around the world have historically associated yarrow with healing and health. Don’t forget to share a picture on Ravelry or with my Facebook page if you make one! If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.
Crochet Pattern in 7 Sizes by Underground Crafter
- Preemie (0-6 months, 6-12 months, Toddler, Child, Adult small, Adult large)
- Listed circumferences are slightly larger than typical crochet hats to allow for cotton yarn shrinkage. If you are substituting with an acrylic yarn, please choose a smaller size based on your preferred final circumference.
- Preemie: 12.5” (32 cm) circumference, 5” (13 cm) length
- 0-6 months: 15” (38 cm) circumference, 6.5” (16.5 cm) length
- 6-12 months: 17.25” (44 cm) circumference, 7” (18 cm) length
- Toddler: 18.75” (47.5 cm) circumference, 7.5” (19 cm) length
- Child/Teen: 21.25” (54 cm) circumference, 7.75” (19.5 cm) length
- Adult small: 23.5” (59.5 cm) circumference, 8” (20 cm) length
- Adult large: 25” (63.5 cm), 8.25” (21 cm) length (requires 2 skeins of CA)
- Lion Brand Nature’s Choice Organic Cotton (3 oz/85 g/103 yds/94 m/100% organic cotton) – 1 skein ea in 170 Pistachio (CA) and 101 Strawberry (CB), or approximately 103 yds (94 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- J-10 (6 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Locking stitch marker or scrap yarn.
- Rnds 1-5 in pattern = 4” (10 cm). For best fit, always check your gauge.
- BL – back loop only
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and draw through 3 loops.
- ea – each
- FL – front loop only
- hdc – half double crochet
- inc – increase – (HdcBL, hdcFL in same st)
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- WS – wrong (back) side
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep after asterisk as indicated.
- Hat is worked in rounds in continuous spirals without joining until Rnd 13.
- Move stitch marker up each round to mark last st.
- Beginning at crown using CA, start with magic adjustable ring. (Oombawka Design Crochet has a great magic ring tutorial here.)
- Rnd 1: (RS) Ch 2, 8 hdc in ring, pull yarn tail tightly to close ring, place marker in last st. (8 sts)
- Rnd 2: Inc in ea st around. (16 sts)
- Rnd 3: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next st; rep from * around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 4: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 2 sts; rep from * around. (32 sts)
- Rnd 5: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 3 sts; rep from * around. (40 sts) PREEMIE SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 6: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 4 sts; rep from * around. (48 sts) 0-6 MONTH SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 7: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 5 sts; rep from * around. (56 sts) 6-12 MONTH SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 8: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 6 sts; rep from * around. (64 sts) TODDLER SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 9: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 7 sts; rep from * around. (72 sts) CHILD SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 10: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 8 sts; rep from * around. (80 sts) ADULT SMALL SIZE ONLY: Continue to Rnd 12.
- Rnd 11: *Inc in next st, hdcFL in next 9 sts; rep from * around. (88 sts)
- Rnd 12: HdcFL in ea st around.
- Rep Rnd 12 until hat measures approximately 0.5” (1.3 cm) shorter than finished length from crown, changing to CB in last yo of last hdc of last rnd, fasten off CA.
- Rnd 13: HdcFL in ea st around to last 3 sts, scFL in next st, sl st in ea of next 2 sts, join with sl st to first hdc.
- Rnd 14: Ch 3 (counts as hdc + ch-1 sp), sk 1, *hdc in next st, ch 1, sk 1; rep from * around, join with sl st to second ch of beginning ch 3.
- Rnd 15: Ch 1, sc in same st and in ea ch-1 sp and sc around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB.
- With CB, make a chain measuring approximately 12” – 18” (30.5 – 46 cm) longer than finished circumference. Turn, sk first ch, sc in ea st across. Fasten off.
- With CB, ch 4, sk 3, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: (WS) Ch 1, (cl in ring, ch 1) 5 times, join with sl st to top of first cl.
- Rnd 2: Turn to RS, starting in same ch-1 sp (sl st in ch-1 sp, ch 3) 5 times, join with sl st to first sl st.
- Rnd 3: (Sc, 4 dc, sc) in ea ch-3 sp around, join with sl st to top of first sc. Fasten off with 12” (30.5 cm) yarn tail for seaming.
- Starting at back of hat with mid-section of drawstring, weave drawstring through ch-1 sp in Rnd 14 of hat so that loose ends are positioned at front.
- Using yarn needle and long yarn tail, sew yarrow flower to side of hat.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Tie drawstring to fit.
© 2015 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2015/10/30/free-pattern-drawstring-beanie-with-yarrow-flower/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.