Are you looking for a quick crochet ornament pattern to decorate your tree, or to be a cute last-minute gift for a loved one? The Little Dress Ornament is easy to make and a pipe cleaner hanger serves as a decorative ornament loop.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by Yarnspirations Red Heart.
I don’t know about you, but my holiday crafting plans usually far exceed my actual crafting time. This is the time of year when I start really focusing in on my handmade holiday gift list.
Some people get taken off the list, and others get assigned smaller projects. These Little Dress Ornaments are super cute and they make a great last-minute gift for a sewist, fashionista, or Christmas decorating diva on your handmade holiday gift list. Crochet ornaments are quick to make, and they add a beautiful handmade touch to any holiday celebration.
If you make your own Little Dress Ornament project, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Little Dress Ornament to your favorites or queue on Ravelry.
Little Dress Ornament
Crochet Ornament Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple crochet dress ornament is made in one piece. Use a folded pipe cleaner as a hanger to transform it into an ornament.
- Approximately 3.25” (8.5 cm) tall.
- Red Heart Super Saver yarn (100% acrylic, 7 oz/198 g, 364 yd/333 m) – 1 skein in 319 Cherry Red or 311 White, or approximately 30 yd (27.5 m) in any medium weight yarn for each ornament.
- US F-5/3.75 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch marker.
- Half of one pipe cleaner for each ornament.
- Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that project is stiff.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- fsc – foundation single crochet (optional) – Insert hook in ch 1 from previous st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and pull through 1 loop (counts as ch 1), yo and draw through 2 loops. Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Start your project with either
of these options. (I used the Foundation Single Crochet option.)
- Foundation Single Crochet option: Ch 2, turn, skip 1 ch, insert hook in next ch, yo and draw up a loop, yo and pull through 1 loop (counts as ch 1), yo and draw through 2 loops (beginning fsc made). Fsc 9 more times. (10 sts)
- Foundation chain option: Ch 11, turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 10 ch. (10 sts)
- Place stitch marker in last stitch and move up each round to mark position.
- Start with foundation single crochet or foundation chain (see Pattern Notes). Place stitch marker in last st. Being careful not to twist, begin working in unjoined rounds.
- Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (20 sts)
- Rnd 3: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts; rep from * around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 4: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts; rep from * around. (28 sts)
- Rnd 5: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts; rep from * around. (32 sts)
- Rnd 6: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 sts; rep from * around. (36 sts)
- Rnd 7: Skip 10 sts for first sleeve, sc in next 8 sts, skip 10 sts for second sleeve, sc in next 8 sts. (16 sts)
- Rnd 8: Sc in next 16 sts.
- Rnd 9: Rep Rnd 8.
- Rnd 10: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 sts] twice. (18 sts)
- Rnd 11: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 8 sts] twice. (20 sts)
- Rnd 12: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 9 sts] twice. (22 sts)
- Rnd 13: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 10 sts] twice. (24 sts)
- Rnd 14: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 11 sts] twice. (26 sts)
- Rnd 15: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 12 sts] twice. (28 sts)
- Rnd 16: [2 sc in next st, sc in next 13 sts] twice. (30 sts)
- Rnd 17: *Sc in next 4 sts, 2 sc in next st; rep from * around. Fasten off. (36 sts)
- With yarn needle, seam top of dress closed and weave in ends on inside of dress.
Hanger Ornament Loop
- Cut pipe cleaner in half.
- Fold pipe cleaner approximately in thirds. Center third of pipe cleaner forms the base of the hanger. Wrap left third of pipe cleaner around the right third of pipe cleaner to lock hanger in place. Twist the top of the right third of pipe cleaner down to form hanger loop.
- Insert hanger inside of dress from the bottom (skirt) portion of the dress until the loop comes through the top (neck) portion of the dress.