If you’re one of the people that considers leaving a comment to say how much you dislike joining motifs whenever I share a roundup of granny square patterns, then today’s Granny Square Month post is for you! I’ve searched the internet for twenty beautiful (and free) crochet patterns for blankets that are made from one continuous motif. This roundup includes square, rectangular, pentagonal, circular, and star shaped blankets, so you’re sure to find a shape and style to delight you. Some of these patterns include color changes while others are made self-patterning yarns to reduce the number of ends you need to weave in.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and are used with permission.
20 Free Crochet Patterns for Continuous Motif Blankets
Roundup by Underground Crafter
- Simply Rectangular Granny Blanket by Underground Crafter: This blanket is made in a continuous rectangle, inspired by the traditional granny square stitch pattern, and includes instructions for adjusting the main project and border to customize the size.
- Jacob’s Star Afghan by Crochet Treasures: This continuous 5-pointed star blanket is a great way to try out new shapes.
- Namaqualand Blanket by Look At What I Made: This continuous square pattern includes detailed photo tutorials to guide you through making this beautiful project.
- Berry Season Blanket by Fiber Flux: This continuous square blanket uses the classic granny square stitch pattern and includes a video tutorial.
- Block Stitch Baby Blanket by Zooty Owl: This continuous square blanket uses a popular variation of the traditional granny square pattern.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Lunar Crossings Square Blanket by Kim Guzman: This continuous square blanket features several special stitches.
- Squares in Squares Throw by Linda Dean Crochet for Red Heart: This continuous square pattern uses post stitches to add texture.
- Rectangular Sampler Blanket by Underground Crafter: Sample 3 different stitches while making this rectangular blanket.
- Radiating Dragonflies Blanket by Pattern Paradise: This continuous square blanket pattern includes two border options.
- Continuous Baby Blanket by Look At What I Made: This beginner-friendly square pattern links to several helpful tutorials.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Anemone by StitchesNScraps: This continuous circle blanket matches the Seahorse Teether pattern. Both make great baby shower gifts.
- Easy Log Cabin Afghan by Moogly: This pattern includes instructions for adjusting the size of this blanket, which is based on the classic quilt block.
- Wobbly Rectangles Blanket by Tw-In Stitches: This continuous rectangle blanket is part of the Wobbly Blanket series.
- Zoey’s Baby Blanket by Oombawka Design: This continuous square blanket works up quickly using a super bulky yarn.
- Sophie’s Universe by Look At What I Made: If you missed out on this stunning continuous blanket crochet along, you can still make the pattern. This 21-part pattern is available in 10 languages and includes many detailed tutorials.
Last column, from top to bottom:
- Building Blocks Baby Blanket by Left in Knots: This continuous square pattern features a picot edging and includes a video tutorial.
- Granny Filet Square Afghan by Maria’s Blue Crayon: This continues square blanket combines elements of filet crochet with a granny square pattern.
- Straight to the Heart Baby Blanket by Kim Guzman: This continuous square blanket is worked flat in rows like a mitered square instead of in the round.
- Gemstone Lace Blanket by The Lavender Chair: This continuous square blanket includes helpful progress photos.
- Swirling Rainbow Blanket by Posh Pooch Designs: This continuous pentagonal blanket includes a video tutorial.