This is the fourth in a series of 12 weeks of roundups for the handmade holidays! I’m sharing 35 free patterns and tutorials for hats, including 18 crochet patterns, 15 knitting patterns, a sewing tutorial, and an iron-on project. This roundup includes projects in a variety of sizes, so you’re sure to find inspiration for your next holiday gift.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
35 Handmade Hat Patterns and Tutorials
Roundup by Underground Crafter
Hats make great gifts! Compared to other projects, they are reasonably small and can be completed quickly. For those living in colder climates, hats are very functional. For those living in warmer environments, hats can really complete an outfit. In this roundup, you’ll find 35 free handmade hat tutorials and patterns. And, if you still need more inspiration for your next gift, I’ve linked up dozens more patterns at the end of this post.
15 Free Knitting Patterns
These include simple and intermediate patterns for babies, kids, men, and women.
- Hummingbird Hat by Underground Crafter: This textured, stretchy beanie pattern is available in 12 sizes from 2-lb. preemie through adult large and includes instructions for knitting flat or in the round.
- Heracles Hat by Handy Little Me: This men’s beanie is knit using 2 colors of a bulky weight yarn.
- Bird Tracks Beanie by Underground Crafter: This textured pom pom hat is available in 4 sizes from 2-lb. preemie through adult large and includes instructions for knitting flat or in the round.
- Alien Hat by Vanessa Mooncie: This hat makes a great gift for your favorite science fiction fan and is available in child and adult sizes.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Wellsley Hat by Designs by Diligence: This is a matching companion pattern to the Wellsely Cowl.
- Cable-Rib Beanie by Lisa Craig: This textured beanie is knit with a self-striping yarn to make the colorwork easy.
- Basic Blue Striped Beanie by Yarnspirations via AllFreeKnitting: This adult-sized beanie uses a self-striping yarn to make the colorwork easy.
- Phaidra Hat by Handy Little Me: This beginner-friendly hat is knit in a super bulky yarn.
Third column, from top to bottom:
- Slouchy Hat by Rosemary Drysdale: This textured slouchy hat uses a much-loved seed stitch pattern.
- Purple Haze by Kristina Kittelson: This textured, cabled beanie is knit from the bottom up.
- Chic Cabled Beret by Yarnspirations via AllFreeKnitting: This adult-sized slouchy hat is finished with an I-cord.
- Vintage Hat by Faina Goberstein and Dawn Leeseman via AllFreeKnitting: This 1920s-inspired, feminine hat has a wrapping tie to adjust the fit.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Butterfly Hat by Little Red Window: The 12-month size of this adorable ribboned hat is available as a free pattern.
- Varsity Stripes Scarf and Hat by Yarnspirations via AllFreeKnitting: This striped, unisex set includes a scarf and a hat pattern in 2 adult sizes.
- Trendy Bun Hat by Laura Bain via AllFreeKnitting: This simple messy bun hat is a beginner-friendly pattern.
18 Free Crochet Patterns
These crochet patterns include unisex and feminine designs in newsie, beanie, and slouchy styles.
- Slouchy Beanie by Olena Huffmire Designs: This striped, slouchy beanie includes a video tutorial and written pattern instructions.
- Tons of Texture Slouch Beanie by Winding Road Crochet: This textured beanie pattern is available in 3 sizes from baby through adult.
- Street Smart Beanie by Frauke Kiedaisch: This feminine, striped beanie pattern uses international stitch symbols.
- Christmas Gift Beanie by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This teen/adult sized hat is great for wearing to your next holiday party.
- Autumn Amore Beanie by Moogly: This 3-color beanie is available in 6 sizes from 0-3 months through adult large and includes a messy bun variation. It’s one of 4 patterns in the Autumn Amore Crochet Along.
- Woodland Fox Hat by Crochet for You: This toddler-sized hat is the second in a series of 5 woodland-inspired animal hat patterns.
Middle column, from top to bottom:
- Duo-Tone Beanie by Stitch11: This adult-sized beanie can be made with or without a pom pom.
- It’s Football Season Beanie by Eye Love Knots: This makes a great gift for your favorite football fan and is available in 6 sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Preston Hat by J Crochet: This unisex slouchy hat fits most adults and teens.
- A Night in Paris Cabbie Cap by Bella Tu Boheme: This slouchy newsie hat fits most teens and adults.
- Charlie Hat by Underground Crafter: This textured, slouchy beanie is available in 4 sizes from newborn through teen/adult.
- Flirty Flowers Hat by Frauke Kiedaisch: This feminine, open work hat pattern uses international stitch symbols.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Fall Glam Lace Hat by B.Hooked Crochet: This lacy hat is perfect gift for a teen or adult living in a warmer environment.
- Woodland Bear Hat by Crochet for You: This toddler-sized hat is the first in a series of woodland-inspired animal hat patterns.
- Anabelle Beanie by A Crocheted Simplicity: This beanie pattern, adorned with a bow, is available in 4 sizes from toddler through adult medium/large.
- Arruga Stitch Hat by Underground Crafter: This unisex beanie is available in 3 sizes from newborn through adult.
- Toasted Hazelnut Brimmed Beanie by Cute As A Button Crochet: This beanie has a rolled up brim and includes a photo tutorial for the special stitch.
- Christmas Hat by KMT Creations: This striped hat is available in 3 sizes from toddler through adult.
These hats were too fun not to include! Shown from left to right.
- Double Top Knot Baby Hat by Sweet Red Poppy: This sewing pattern is available in 4 sizes from newborn through 12 months, and includes photo and video tutorials, along with tips for working with knit fabrics.
- Unicorn Iron-On Baseball Hat by Doodlecraft: This Cricut iron-on project includes a link to the cut file that you can use with a plain baseball hat.
Need more hat inspiration? Check out these roundups!
23 Free Crochet and Knit Hat Patterns to Make Great Gifts
24 Free Crochet Patterns for Pom Pom Hats
24 Free Knitting Patterns for Pom Pom Hats
66+ Free Knit Hat Patterns for Winter via AllFreeKnitting
22 Free Crochet and Knitting Patterns for Blue Hats