This is the seventh in a series of 12 weeks of roundups for the handmade holidays! I’m sharing 20 free patterns and tutorials for upcycled gifts, including crochet, sewing, no-sew, paper crafts, and hot glue projects! This roundup includes gift wrap, decorations, home decor projects, clothing, and more.
Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
20 Handmade Upcycled Gift Ideas
Roundup by Underground Crafter
Upcycled materials can be used to make great handmade gifts! Whether you’re upcycling to save money and make your supply list more affordable, to reduce your impact on the environment, or to put a smile on an eco-friendly recipient’s face, you’re sure to find some inspiration for your next handmade upcycled gifts in this roundup!
These 14 projects are made from upcycled clothing including t-shirts, sweaters, and jeans.
- Bike Cuff by Underground Crafter: This sewing project uses denim to make an adjustable pant legs cuff for a bicyclist.
- Children’s Leggings by It’s Always Autumn: Upcycle an adult’s sweater to sew a pair of cozy children’s leggings.
- Denim Flower by Creations by Kara: Use a small amount of denim and a button to create a flower that can be used as a brooch, embellishment, or bit of gift wrap.
- Girl’s Dress by Stitch11: This project combines light sewing and crochet to make a pretty girl’s dress from an adult t-shirt.
Second row, from left to right:
- Wine Bottle Sleeve by Fiber Artsy: This simple sewing project transforms a sweater or felt jacket into a gift sleeve for a bottle of wine.
- Mug Cozy by Lydi Out Loud: This no-sew cozy is made from a felted wool sweater. (If you’re new to felting, check out my tutorial How to Knitfelt (or Full) Wool in the Washer and Dryer.)
- 10-Minute Sweater Mittens by Practically Functional: This quick sewing project is a great way to use old sweaters.
- Slippers by A Happy Stitch: This sewing tutorial shows you how to upcycle an old sweater into a custom-fit pair of slippers.
Third row, from left to right:
- Log Cabin Pocket Pillows by Underground Crafter: If you have a large stack of old jeans, you can sew these log cabin inspired pocket pillows. The tutorial includes three variations.
- Laptop Tote by It’s Always Autumn: This low-sew project is made using an old sweater and a long belt.
- Backpack by Heather Handmade: This simple sewing project transforms an adult t-shirt into a child’s backpack.
Bottom row, from left to right:
- Christmas Stockings by Fiskars for Cheap Thrifty Living: This sewing tutorial shows how to upcycle different types of clothing into holiday stockings.
- Vase by Family Focus Blog: Update an old vase with a sweater, burlap, and some hot glue.
- Lavender Sachets by Underground Crafter: Turn some old jeans into scented, personalized sachets with some light sewing and iron-on.
These two projects are made from cleaned food containers. Shown from left to right.
- Containers by Ribbons & Glue: This beginner-friendly project transforms upcycled chips and soup containers into themed gift containers with paper, buttons, and twine.
- Gift Boxes by this heart of mine: Puffy paint dresses up these upcycled powdered drink containers into gift boxes.
These two crochet patterns use upcycled plastic rings from bottles. Shown from left to right.
- Star Garland by Highland Hickory Designs: This decorative garland is made by crocheting stars around the plastic rings used on bottles of water or soda.
- Poinsettias by Highland Hickory Designs: These decorative flowers are crocheted around the plastic rings used in gallon jugs of water and milk.
These two home decor projects are made with other upcycled materials.
- Floor Cushions by Fiskars for Cheap Thrifty Living: This sewing project transforms a small rug into floor cushions.
- Frame by Doodlecraft: If you have a stack of old magazines and some time, this rolled paper frame would make a beautiful gift.