I love crochet ripples. They are just so fun to make and wear. The Valiant Stripes Scarf uses a bold ripple pattern to make a statement scarf. It’s perfect for cold weather and it makes a great “game day” scarf in team colors.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
Valiant Stripes Scarf
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 5.5” (14 cm) wide, 61.5” (156 cm) long.
- Lion Brand Heartland (100% acrylic, 5 oz/142 g/251 yds/230 m) – 1 skein ea in 109 Olympic (CA) and 169 Shenandoah (CB), or approximately 230 yds (210 m) in ea of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9 (5.5 mm) crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 13 sts in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dc5tog – double crochet 5 sts together – (Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 5 times, yo and draw through all 6 loops on hook. If you’re new to decreasing, you can find helpful photos in my Catherine Wheel tutorial.
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- With CA, ch 220 (or any multiple of 24 sts, + 4 sts).
- Row 1: (Right Side) Turn, skip 3 sts (counts as first dc), 2 dc in next ch, dc in next 9 ch, *dc5tog, dc in next 9 ch,** 5 dc in next ch, dc in next 9 ch; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 1 ch remaining, 3 dc in last ch. (216 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), 2 dc in same st, dc in next 9 sts, *dc5tog, dc in next 9 sts,** 5 dc in next st, dc in next 9 sts; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 1 st remaining, 3 dc in last st.
- Row 3: Rep Row 2.
- Row 4: Rep Row 2, changing to CB with last yo of final dc. Fasten off CA.
- Row 5: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st and ea st across.
- Row 6: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, *ch 5, sc in next st; rep from * across.
- Row 7: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st, *pull ch-5 loop towards the front, sc in next sc; rep from * across, changing to CA with last yo of final sc. Fasten off CB.
- Rows 8-11: Rep Rows 4-7.
- Row 12: Rep Row 2. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails securely on wrong side of scarf.