My name is Marie Segares, and I’m the Proprietress of Underground Crafter. I learned to crochet from my maternal grandmother in 1984, and I’ve been hooked ever since. She tried to teach me to knit, too, but that was far less successful. In 2010, I finally conquered my fear of knitting, and I haven’t looked back since. (Don’t tell the knitting, but crochet is still my favorite!)
I also love to sew, quilt, and use my Cricut Maker for vinyl, fabric, and paper crafts. I make hot process soap and embroider from time to time. I do my fair share of cooking and love to bake, too.
You may be wondering about the Underground Crafter name. I’m not part of a secret society of crafters (though that would be pretty cool), but I do crochet and knit underground quite a bit while commuting on New York City’s subway system. (Update: I actually started my own not-so-secret society of crafters on Facebook. You’re welcome to join us!)
I have the great fortune to work with some wonderful companies who help me to bring all of my creations to life and all of my patterns, tutorials, and make-a-longs to you. I’m a Baby Lock Ambassador, a 2023 Benartex Brand Ambassador, a King Cole Brand Ambassador, and a VELCRO® Brand Ambassador.
Interested in advertising, sponsorship, or other collaborations? Contact me at marie AT undergroundcrafter DOT com for a media kit.
Underground Crafter is one of AllFreeCrochet’s Top 12 Crochet Blogs for Beginners…
My patterns have been published by Crochetvolution, Crochet World, Entwine, Galler Yarns, I Like Crochet, I Like Knitting, Inside Crochet, KnitCircus, KnitCrate, Kollabora, Love of Crochet, Love of Knitting, Pom Pom Quarterly, Yarnbox, and the Quick & Simple Crochet booklet series. I share self-published patterns on the blog (crochet patterns, knitting patterns, and sewing/quilting projects). You can find all of my published crochet and knitting patterns on my Ravelry designer page. You can also buy my self-published designs as instant downloads on LoveCrafts and Ravelry.
I’m a Craft Yarn Council Certified Crochet and Knitting Instructor (Level I) and Certified Crochet and Knitting Teacher (Level II). In addition to private lessons, I’ve taught through the Barnard College Mini Course Program, the Adult School of Montclair, the Brooklyn Workshop Gallery, the DC37 Saturday Activities program, the Finger Lakes Fiber Arts Festival, Michaels Manhattan, the Mount Vernon Hotel Museum, the North Jersey Fiber Arts Festival, and the Queens Public Library.
By the way, if you’re interested in the business side of crafts, you may enjoy my books, Make Money Teaching Crochet: Launch Your Business, Increase Your Side Income, Reach More Students…
I’m a Professional member of the Crochet Guild of America.
Thanks for stopping by! Stay in touch!
- Subscribe to the Underground Crafter newsletter for regular updates and announcements.
- Find me on Instagram and Pinterest as ucrafter.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- Visit the Underground Crafter Facebook page.
- Join the Underground Crafter Facebook group or Ravelry group.
- If you’re interested in the business side of crochet and knitting, you can listen to archived podcast episodes of the Creative Yarn Entrepreneur Show here.
If you enjoy link parties, here are some of my favorites to participate in.
- Linky Ladies Community Link Party with Pattern Paradise and The Purple Poncho,
- The Loop Scoop with Moogly and Petals to Picots,
- Link & Share Wednesday with Oombawka Design Crochet and The Stitchin’ Mommy, and
- Creatively Crafty with Try It Like It Create It and Life Beyond the Kitchen.