Try out different stitch combinations while making this lacy crochet scarf pattern that can be worn year-round. It’s a one-skein project in Miss Babs Yowza! Whatta Skein yarn.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
As of Sunday, spring has sprung, or so rumor has it. It’s still pretty chilly here in New York City, but as my dad reminded me, Hades never wants Persephone to return.
You can play with several stitches and end up with an lacy crochet scarf, joined into an infinity cowl, that’s perfect for the warmer months. If you use Miss Babs Yowza! Whatta Skein! like I did, it’s also a one-skein project (and who doesn’t love that!).
I’m joining in for the National Craft Month series with 100Directions.com. This week’s theme is fiber and fabric crafts, so I feel I should say a word about the yarn I used.
It’s a superwash Merino wool, so it’s soft and machine washable (yay!). Though we all think of wool as being great for winter, it’s breathable (like all natural fibers) so it can work as the weather starts to warm up, too. Miss Babs is a very talented dyer, and the Yowza! Whatta Skein! is very aptly named. It’s on the thinner side of medium weight, so if you substitute another yarn, you may find that you need to adjust your hook side accordingly. (You can learn more about making yarn substitutions here.)
If you make your own Spring Sampler Infinity Scarf project, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Spring Sampler Infinity Scarf to your favorites or queue on Ravelry.
If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.
Spring Sampler Infinity Scarf
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 5.5” (14 cm) width x 59” (150 cm) circumference.
- Miss Babs Yowza! Whatta Skein! (100% superwash Merino wool, 8 oz/227 g, 560 yd/512 m) – 1 skein in Violets in the Grass, or approximately 410 yds (375 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 16 sts in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Sk st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- v-st – v-stitch – (Dc, ch 1, dc) in same st or sp.
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Photo tutorial for BL and cdc is available here.
- This project is worked flat and then joined, so it also makes a great “regular” scarf.
- Border is crocheted in the round.
- Photo tutorial for slip stitch join is available here.
- Ch 26.
Crossed Double Crochet section
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 ch (counts as dc), cdc to last st, dc in last st. (24 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), cdc to last st, dc in last st.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Row 2 twice.
- Row 5: Turn, ch 1, scBL in same st and ea st across.
- Rows 6-8: Rep Row 5 – 3 times.
- Row 9: Turn, ch 3, dc in next st, [ch 1, sk 1, dc in next st] 5 times, [dc in next st, ch 1, sk 1] 5 times, dc in next 2 sts.
- Rows 10-12: Rep Row 9 – 3 times.
Single Crochet interlude
- Row 17: Turn, ch 3, [sk 1, v-st in next st, sk 1] 3 times, 2 dc in next st, ch 1, sk 2, 2 dc in next st, [sk 1, v-st in next st, sk 1] 3 times, dc in last st. (25 sts)
- Row 18: Turn, ch 3, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, (dc, ch 2, dc) in next ch-1 sp, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, dc in last st. (24 sts)
- Row 19: Turn, ch 3, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, (dc, ch 2, dc) in ch-2 sp, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, dc in last st.
- Row 20: Turn, ch 3, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, 4 dc in ch-2 sp, [v-st in next ch-1 sp] 3 times, dc in last st.
Sampler Pattern repeat
- Rows 21-24: Rep Row 5 – 4 times.
- Rows 25-28: Rep Row 2 – 4 times.
- Rows 29-32: Rep Row 5 – 4 times.
- Rows 33-36: Rep Row 9 – 4 times.
- Rows 37-40: Rep Row 5 – 4 times.
- Rows 41-44: Rep Rows 17-20.
- Rep Rows 21-44 – 6 more times, or until scarf measures approximately 56.5” (143.5 cm), or until desired length is reached.
- Rows 45-48: Rep Row 5 – 4 times.
- Turn, ch 1, *working along long edge, sc in side of ea sc and 2 sc in side of ea dc or ch 3 across, ch 1,** slstBL in unworked side of ea st along foundation row, ch 1, rep from * to **, join with sl st to last sc of Row 48. Fasten off with long yarn tail for sl st join.
- With crochet hook, seam short edges with slip stitch join. With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.
© 2016 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2016/03/22/free-pattern-spring-sampler-infinity-scarf/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
This pattern is featured on the 100+ Best Craft Projects of the Decade on FaveCrafts!