This stunning ripple baby blanket pattern includes a video tutorial to help you make all the special stitches.
This post contains affiliate links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
It’s my opinion that you can never go wrong with a ripple blanket. And, don’t people always say that three is better than one?
This stitch pattern combines three increases to make a really striking ripple blanket with wide, flattened peaks…
… and deep, pointed valleys.
I used two colors for my version, but the instructions explain an easy way to use three colors without having to weave in too many ends. And, best of all, if you’re not too confident about your crochet increases and decreases, you can watch the video tutorial at the end of the pattern.
If you make your own Triplet Ripple Baby Blanket, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Triplet Ripple Baby Blanket to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
If you want an easy print format, you can buy an ad-free PDF version on Craftsy.
Triplet Ripple Baby Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
Trios of increases make a stunning ripple blanket with wide, gently curved peaks and deep, pointy valleys.
- Baby Blanket. 35.5” (90 cm) wide x 31” (79 cm) long before blocking; 35.5” (90 cm) wide x 32” (81.5 cm) long after blocking.
- Lion Brand Heartland (100% acrylic, 5 oz/142 g/251 yd/230 m) – 3 skeins each in 173 Everglades (CA) and 158 Yellowstone (CB), or approximately 720 yd (658 m) in each of 2 colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size J/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 15 sts x 6.5 rows in pattern = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dc2tog – double crochet 2 sts together – (Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and drawn through all 3 loops on hook.
- dc3tog – double crochet 3 sts together – (Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yo and drawn through all 4 loops on hook.
- dc5tog – double crochet 5 sts together – (Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 5 times, yo and drawn through all 6 loops on hook.
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- A video tutorial is available at the end of the pattern.
- Change colors in the last yo of last dc3tog at the end of every second row. (To make a 3 color blanket, change colors in the last yo of last dc3tog at the end of every row.) Carry unworked color up straight edge of blanket.
- Ch 163 (or any multiple of 16 sts, + 3 sts).
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 ch (does not count as st), dc2tog, dc in next 5 ch, 4 dc in next ch, dc in next 5 ch, *dc5tog, dc in next 5 ch, 4 dc in next ch, dc in next 5 ch; rep from * across to last 3 ch, dc3tog.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 2 (does not count as st), sk first 2 sts, dc2tog, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, 4 dc in between last skipped st and next st, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, *sk 2 sts, dc5tog, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, 4 dc between last skipped st and next st, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st; rep from * across to last 5 sts, sk 2 sts, dc3tog.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 2 (does not count as st), sk first st, dc2tog, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, 4 dc in between last skipped st and next st, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, *sk 2 sts, dc5tog, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st, sk 2 sts, 4 dc between last skipped st and next st, sk 2 sts, 5 dc in next st; rep from * across to last 5 sts, sk 2 sts, dc3tog.
- Rep Row 3 until blanket measures approximately 31” (79 cm) long, finishing after 2 rows of CA (or 1 row of CA if making a 3 color blanket). Do not fasten off CA.
- With CA, ch 1, turn to work along straight edge, 2 sc in side of each row across edge, ch 1, turn and join with sl st to first st on underside of foundation ch. Fasten off.
- With same side facing up, join CA with sl st to last st of same foundation row, ch 1, turn to work along straight edge, 2 sc in side of each row across edge, ch 1, turn, sl st to first st of final row. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block. (If you’re new to blocking, read Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.)
© 2016, 2017 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2017/02/10/free-pattern-triplet-ripple-baby-blanket. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Watch the video tutorial for the Triplet Ripple Baby Blanket below. If you can’t see the video, click here to watch it on YouTube.