I’m excited to share a guest post today from my friends at AllFreeKnitting. (Spoiler alert: It includes a free knitting pattern!)
This post contains affiliate links. Post, pattern, and images are © AllFreeKnitting and are published with permission.
Hi everyone! It’s Kathryn from AllFreeKnitting.com. Marie was gracious enough to let me share one of my favorite knit hat patterns with you today, the Purple Haze Knit Hat, which originally appeared on AllFreeKnitting.com.
This beautiful knit hat was designed by Kristina, one of my fellow editors at AllFreeKnitting.com. How cool is that?
Kristina found the pretty purple Malabrigo Merino Worsted yarn at a local yarn store. She knew she wanted something in the purple color family, and the tonal quality of the yarn as well as the softness really spoke to her.
The smoky/misty quality of the yarn combined with cables, which Kristina feels are reminiscent of rising smoke, seemed like the perfect fit for this piece. Alas, the Purple Haze Knit Hat was born!
The hat is designed to be very tight-fitting on an average-sized woman’s head, so this piece is best worn during the dead of winter. Especially since cables naturally tighten hats up a bit, if you have a larger head or would like a fit with more ease, feel free to include an extra repeat.
To do so, add any multiple of 12 to the cast-on to get started (93, 105, etc.); just make sure you keep the set-up round and decreases in-pattern, and bear in mind you’ll have more repeats around in the “body” section of the pattern.
Once the hat is constructed, the adorable Lion Brand Pom is the perfect finishing touch. Of course, this is an optional addition and will depend on personal preference. To learn how to use a pom pom maker, be sure to check out this helpful video tutorial.
This wonderful hat pattern is the kind of design knitters of almost any skill level can enjoy, so I am so excited for you to add this topper to your cold weather wardrobe. You can also find more knit hat patterns in 66 Knit Hat Patterns for the Winter. Happy knitting, friends!
And now, without further ado, check out the full pattern for the Purple Haze Knit Hat below.
Purple Haze Hat
Knitting Pattern by Kristina Kittelson for AllFreeKnitting
- 11.5” (29 cm) tall, 5.5” (14 cm) wide, 4.5” (11.4 cm) in diameter, unstretched. Fits medium-sized woman’s head snugly.
- 1 skein Malabrigo Merino Worsted Yarn in Purple Magic.
- US Size 7 (4.5 mm) Circular Knitting Needles, Double-Pointed Knitting Needles (DPNs).
- 1 cable needle or spare double-pointed needle.
- 1 Lion Brand Pom (optional).
- 1 yarn needle.
- 1 stitch marker.
- About 18 sts per 4” (10 cm) in 2×2 rib stitch
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CO: cast on
- c6b: Slip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold in back of work. K next 3 sts, then k3 from cable needle.
- c6f: Sip next 3 sts onto cable needle and hold in front of work. K next 3 sts, then k3 from cable needle.
- k: knit
- k2tog: knit next 2 sts together
- kfb: Knit into the front and back loop of stitch, slip off needle. 1 st increased.
- KKPP: K the k sts and p the p sts
- p: purl
- rep: repeat(s)
- st(s): stitch(es)
- CO 81 sts longtail, join in round by knitting first and last stitch together. 80 sts.
- K2, p2 around for 2 inches (5 cm).
- Set up round: *P3, k9; rep 5 times. *p3, kfb, k5, kfb; rep 2 times. 84 sts.
- Rounds 1-2: *P3, k9; rep 7 times.
- Round 3: *P3, c6b, k3; rep 7 times.
- Rounds 4-6: As round 1.
- Round 7: *P3, k3, c6f; rep 7 times.
- Round 8: As round 1.
- Rep rounds 1-8 eight times, or until hat measures about 10 inches (25.5 cm) from CO edge. Begin decrease rounds.
- For version without a folded brim, only repeat rounds 1-8 six times.
- Decrease round 1: *P3, k7, k2tog; rep 7 times. (77 sts)
- Decrease round 2, 4, 6, 8, and 10: KKPP.
- Decrease round 3: *P3, k6, k2tog; rep 7 times. (70 sts)
- Decrease round 5: *P3, k5, k2tog; rep 7 times. (63 sts). Switch to DPNs.
- Decrease round 7: *P3, k4, k2tog; rep 7 times. (56 sts)
- Decrease round 9: *P3, k3, k2tog; rep 7 times. (49 sts)
- Decrease round 11: *P3, k2, k2tog; rep 7 times. (42 sts)
- Decrease round 12: *P3, k1, k2tog; rep 7 times. (35 sts)
- Decrease round 13: *P3, k2tog; rep 7 times. (28 sts)
- Decrease round 14: *P2, k2tog; rep 7 times. (21 sts)
- Decrease round 15: *P1, k2tog; rep 7 times. (14 sts)
- Decrease round 16: *K2tog around. (7 sts)
- Break yarn and thread through rem sts. Attach Pom to top of hat. Weave in ends. Block.