I’m sharing a stunning, unisex cowl pattern by guest contributor, Heddi Craft Designs. While the Meander Cowl looks complex, since it uses slip stitches, you only need to work one color at a time. Make one up for yourself or to gift!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
About Heddi Craft
Heddi is a lifelong fiber artist and educator living with her husband and three children in Santa Cruz, California. She designs a variety of knitted objects with an emphasis on shawls and wraps and enjoys working with simple shapes and unique design features. Heddi offers classes ranging from introductory knitting classes to classes on lace shawl design. She also works as a consultant to other knit and crochet instructors on designing classes and handouts for effective instruction.
Show your support by visiting Heddi Craft Designs at one of the following links:
Knitting Pattern by Heddi Craft Designs
This lovely colorwork cowl uses a soft and squishy yarn to create a classic pattern. Using slipped stitches, only one color is worked at a time so the pattern is easy to create. This quick to complete pattern is perfect for fall and winter.
- One Size: 22” (56 cm) circumference x 7” (8 cm) tall.
- Malabrigo Rios yarn (100% Pure Merino Superwash, 100 g/210 yd) – 2 skeins, Main Color (MC) 842 Ilusion, Contrast Color (CC) 036 Pearl, or approximately 85 yd (78 m) of each of two colors in any worsted weight yarn.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm 18” circular knitting needles, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch markers (optional).
- 20 sts x 28 rows = 4” (10 cm) in stockinette stitch, blocked. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CC- contrast color
- CO- cast on
- k- knit
- MC- main color
- p- purl
- sl- slip- slip stitch purlwise
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- When changing between colors, carry the unused color loosely up the back of the cowl. Do not cut yarn.
- CO 108 sts.
- Rnds 1-8: In MC, *k2, p2, repeat from * to end.
- Rnds 9-12: In CC, knit around.
- Rnds 13-14: In MC, knit around.
- Rnds 15-16: In CC, *k5, sl 1, repeat from * to end.
- Rnds 17-18: In MC, *sl 1, k3, sl 1, k1, repeat from * to end.
- Rnds 19-20: In CC, *k1, sl 1, k3, sl 1, repeat from * to end.
- Rnds 21-22: In MC, *sl 1, k5, repeat from * to end.
- Rnds 23-24: In CC, knit around.
- Rnds 25-26: In MC, knit around.
- Rnds 27-30: In CC, knit around.
- Rnds 31-48: Repeat Rounds 13-30 one more time.
- Rnd 49: In MC, knit around.
- Rnds 50-56: In MC, *k2, p2, repeat from * to end.
- Bind off in pattern.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Block cowl to finished measurements.
© 2017 by Heddi Craft (Heddi Craft Designs) and published with permission by Underground Crafter. This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Olena’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2017/10/21/knitting-pattern-meander-cowl/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Thank you, Heddi, for sharing this beautiful pattern with us! Show your support by visiting Heddi at one of the following links: