My 2013 temperature scarf pattern

Apparently, Honey Nutbrown‘s whole temperature scarf concept has really taken off.  Even Bernat, one of the larger North American yarn companies, has jumped on board with a year long KAL/CAL.

Temperature Scarf, free (conceptual) crochet pattern by Underground Crafter

This post contains affiliate links.

I’ve gotten quite a few questions about the stitch pattern I’m using for my crochet version, so I thought I’d share it.  I wanted the number of stitches (38) to match my age this year, so I combined elements of two different stitch patterns I liked in Margaret Hubert‘s The Complete Photo Guide to Crochet.

Add to Ravelry

Crochet Temperature Scarf

A recipe pattern by Underground Crafter

(conceived by Honey Nutbrown as a knitting project here)

02-easy 50

US terms 504-medium 50

First, choose a group of yarns and assign a set of temperature values to each yarn.  This will vary based on how many yarns you want to use as well as how dramatic annual temperature highs and lows are in your area.  Here’s my chart as an example.

Click to enlarge.

The yarns I’m using, arranged in temperature order, from top left to right and bottom left to right.

Use the same yarn for the foundation chain and Row 1.  For the rest of the project, change colors at the end of every row (or as often as dictated by the change in temperatures) by pulling the new color through the last slip stitch.  (Tip: Don’t fasten off at the end of the row until you know the next day’s temperature.  You may end up using the same yarn again, and you’ll have fewer ends to weave in!)

Abbreviations Used in This Pattern

• blo – back loop only
  • ch – chain
  • dc – double crochet
  • ea – each
  • hdc – half double crochet
  • rep – repeat
  • sc – single crochet
  • sk – skip
  • sl st – slip stitch
  • st(s) – stitch(es)

Pattern Instructions

• Ch 39.
  • Row 1: Turn, sk first ch, sl st in ea of next 2 chs, *ch 2, sk 2 chs, sc in ea of next 2 chs; rep from * across to last 4 sts, ch 2, sk 2 chs, sl st in ea of last 2 chs. (38 sts)
  • Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sl st in blo of ea of first 2 sts, *sc in ea of next 2 skipped chs from foundation ch, ch 2, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last 4 sts, sc in ea of next 2 skipped chs from foundation ch, sl st in blo of ea of last 2 sts.
  • Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sl st in blo of ea of first 2 sts, *ch 2, sk 2 sts, sc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below; repeat from * across to last 4 sts, ch 2, sk 2 sts, sl st in blo of ea of last 2 sts.
  • Row 4: Turn, ch 1, sl st in blo of ea of first 2 sts, *sc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, ch 2, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last 4 sts, sc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, sl st in blo of ea of last 2 sts.
  • Rep Rows 3 & 4.

I also changed the stitch length for each season.  Since I live in New York and we start the year in the winter, I used the single crochet to represent the short length of the day.  The length of the stitches will increase as the hours of darkness in the day decreases.

Temperature Scarf, free (conceptual) crochet pattern by Underground Crafter

Spring and Fall hdc stitch pattern variation

• Row 5: Turn, ch 1, sc in ea of first 2 sts, *ch 2, sk 2 sts, hdc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below; rep from * across to last 4 sts, ch 2, sk 2 sts, sc in ea of last 2 sts.
  • Row 6: Turn, ch 1, sc in ea of first 2 sts, *hdc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, ch 2, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last 4 sts, hdc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, sc in ea of last 2 sts.
  • Repeat Rows 5 & 6.

Temperature Scarf, free (conceptual) crochet pattern by Underground Crafter

Summer dc stitch pattern variation:

• Row 7: Turn, ch 2 (counts as hdc), sk first st, hdc in 2nd st, *ch 2, sk 2 sts, dc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below; rep from * across to last 4 sts, ch 2, sk 2 sts, hdc in ea of last 2 sts.
  • Row 8: Turn, ch 2 (counts as hdc), sk first st, hdc in 2nd st, *dc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, ch 2, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last 4 sts, dc in ea of next 2 skipped sts from 2 rows below, hdc in ea of last 2 sts.
  • Repeat Rows 7 & 8.

If you’re working on a temperature scarf, too, I’m looking forward to seeing how all of our projects turn out next year! (Update: You can find my lessons learned, after the scarf was finished, in this post.)

Add to Ravelry

© 2013, 2014 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use it to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2013/01/23/my-2013-temperature-scarf-pattern/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!

For more Works in Progress, visit Tami’s Amis.

Sharing is caring!Email to someoneShare on FacebookGoogle+Share on LinkedInPin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

40 thoughts on “My 2013 temperature scarf pattern

1. Pingback: A Temperature Scarf? What’s that? | Craft Eccentrics

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for stopping by, Carla. Some people who make temperature scarves only crochet one row a day. What I did was crochet a few months at a time. So I would collect the temperatures and then sit down and crochet a bunch of rows at once. You can do whichever works best for you!

2. Alexis

I’m confused…how do you change the color on your scarf? Or I should say how do you know when to change it? Are you going by hours in the day and monitoring the temp? Or is it by row? I just don’t see how you are getting different colors in the row. Please explain.. Thanks, the scarf looks nice! 😉

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for your kind words, Alexis. I’m using variegated (multicolor) yarns, and the stitch pattern makes you “dip” down one row, so that is how I’m getting different colors within a row. I change colors each row based on the temperature for that particular day, but I don’t change colors within one row. Hopefully, this helps!

3. Elida

Sorry about my english it’s so poor, I only speak spanish, could you translate this instructions, please? because I don’t understnd very well. kisses from Buenos Aires,
    Elida

4. Julie

I love this idea, but I live in San Diego and I’m afraid my temperature’s don’t change enough for the scarf to vary much. I think I will have to monitor relative’s weather in Texas and Maryland and make one for each of them instead.

Elida, if you just type in the google search bar… English to Spanish Translation… a translator will come right up on the page. Just copy and paste the English into the first box and it will automatically translate for you. I tried it and it works but there it too much text to do it all at once. You’ll have to do it in sections.

5. Pingback: Wednesday Round Up 11/05/14 ~ Scarves

6. Kimberly

Hi. I love the scarf. I’m mother really sure what a temperature scarf is. Would you mind explaining the concept please?

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for writing, Kimberly. The concept of the temperature scarf is that you crochet or knit a row for each day. You also assign different yarns to certain temperature ranges. Based on the day’s temperature, you choose the corresponding color for that day’s row. Hope this helps!

7. Laurie

Just love your scarf. And am starting my January 1. So if I understand correctly and I crochet a row a day I will have 365 rows in my scarf? I will probably do mine at the end of each month. I love seeing a new project coming to life. Thank you for the lovely pattern and challenge.

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for the kind words, Laurie! Yes, you will end up with 365 rows. I also did mine at the end of each month rather than daily. I found my tension was also more consistent that way. I’d love to see pictures when you finish!

8. Cathy

My confusion on the temperature scarf is…are you plotting/using the high, low or both temps daily? You mentioned fluctuations, where does that come in to play? I love the idea and told my husband. He’s going to help me keep up with the daily temps. Thanks!

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Cathy, I used the high daily, but you could just as easily use lows or averages. I’ve also seen people who do 3 rows a day (high, low, AND average), but I think that would make the scarf too long.

9. Ms Sandra Avampato

This is new to me. What a fun idea. Plan to start Jan first 2015. I am assuming you pick a particular time of day’d temp to be consistent since it changes during the course of the day? Or the high or the low? Can’t wait to start.
    Sandy

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for stopping by, Ms. Sandra! I actually used the high temperature as posted on Accuweather for each day, but you could also pick an average, low, or, as you mention, temperature at a certain time of day.

10. Lisa Cicero

Hi! I love this idea!!! Do you know any any kits made with the colors for different regions, I like to buy all my yarn for a project at one time so I have all the same brand etc (yes, I am a little ocd) thank you again!!

1. Suzie Q

What a novel idea! Going to begin this scarf on my mother’s birthday and give it to her next year. Here in Maryland the temperature is usually quite varied, so I am thinking of using 7 shades of yellows (her favorite color) and greens – one shade for every 15 degrees from 0 to 105.

1. Underground Crafter Post author

That sounds lovely, Suzie Q! I did something similar for my mom. She only wanted to use temperatures from my sister’s birthday to my birthday to her birthday, which is about 60 days. So I just repeated that group of temperatures several times until the scarf was long enough.

11. Jheri

I like this idea. Couple of questions – how do I know how much yarn I will need for each of the different temperature ranges?
    You had 7 ranges of 12 degrees ea., and 3 stitch lengths. I figure they are for – sc, winter – hdc, spring & fall – dc, summer. At each season change there are a lot of days that the temp. will change from one range to another and back again the next few days. This would mean yarn changes according to temp., right? Then when the temp. change spans around the season change how would you determine which stitch length to use?
    I don’t mean to nit- pick, but I am trying to work this in my mind and find my snags before I get there. Also about yarn amounts so I can be ready when Jan. pops up suddenly. Thank you. Sorry to be so long winded.

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Thanks for stopping by, Jheri. In response to your questions, yes, you got that right about the stitch lengths. I changed stitch heights based on the date of the solstices and equinoxes, not based on the temperature. I changed yarn according to temperature.

Unfortunately, you can’t accurately predict how much yarn you will need for each skein before the year begins :(. In this scarf, I had one color that was only used for 1 row, and another color that ran out. I would guess that 2 skeins of each color will be sufficient, if you’ve divided up the temperatures well based on historical weather patterns in your area. Good luck!

1. Jheri

Thank you so much. You gave me prompt, direct, good answers to my questions. Now I have a few days to plan it all out by the first of Jan. Thanks again and I give you five stars.

12. Brenda

My sister and I are doing this together. She’s in Oklahoma and I’m on the Georgia coast. We can’t wait to see how different our scarves turn out! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern!

13. Wendy

I love this idea. I think I am going to look up the temps of the year, each of my kids were born, and create an afghan for them. Can’t wait to do the research and pick the colors.

14. Pingback: New Year, New Projects (and a lot of old ones) | Mindy's Needlework Mania

15. Joyce

In my faith, we observe the seasons by the Hebrew calendar, so my/our year begins in the spring, when things are coming back to life. I like that better than man’s idea of starting a year in the dead of winter, and as cold as it’s been here the last few days (Northern Lower Michigan), I surely do not want to start and end a scarf by crocheting icicles into it!!

16. Darla

Is there a tutorial showing the stitch pattern? I’m pretty good at crocheting, but for some reason I’m not understanding the dipping down to the 2 rows down and skipping the next to scs. It’s not working out for me. I end up with the row on the bottom instead of top.

1. Underground Crafter Post author

Darla, I’m not aware of a tutorial for this particular stitch. Insert your hook into the single crochet stitches below the chain 2 space and crochet around the chain. I hope this helps.