One was this shawl. Kollabora was looking for something that really stood out in the booth, and I held two strands of yarn together – a metallic and a mohair yarn. I’m really excited to be able to share the pattern for A Little Bit of Bling Shawl with you today. It’s a great project for the last days of summer – it’s quick and airy, but the long fringes provide good coverage in case it gets chilly.
This post contains affiliate links.
This summer, I spent a great afternoon with my friend Carlota Zimmerman from the Creativity Yenta (interviewed here). In addition to being a contributing blogger for the Huffington Post, she’s a great model! After a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, we went to Central Park to take some pictures, and Carlota had some great poses wearing this fun and flirty design. (Her tagline isn’t “Just your average sexy force of nature” for nothing!)
A Little Bit of Bling Shawl Crochet Pattern
by Underground Crafter
Updated October 4, 2014
This quick and easy triangular shawl makes a great transitional weather accessory.
The metallic yarn brightens up any outfit! Adjust the length of the fringe to fit your personal style.
This pattern is now available in audio! Listen to the player below and learn more about the Free Crochet Patterns with Underground Crafter podcast here.
Finished Size: Adjustable. Photographed sample is 50” (127 cm) wingspan length, 13.5” (34 cm) spine length, excluding fringe.
- Galler Yarns Kismet (87% polyester/13% nylon, 8 oz/227 g/1,400 yds/1,280 m) – 1 cone in 901 Silver, or approximately 300 yds (274 m) in any metallic, light weight yarn.
- Galler Yarns Flore II (75% Kid Mohair/15% Wool/10% Nylon, 1.75 oz/50 g/100 yds/91 m/) – 3 skeins in 1005 Ocean, or approximately 300 yds (274 m) in any light weight mohair blend yarn.
- L-11/8 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Gauge: 10 fdc = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
New to crochet? Check out Improve Your Crochet, an online class at Craftsy.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern:
- beg fdc – beginning foundation double crochet – Ch 4, turn, sk 3 sts, yo, insert hook in next ch, yo and draw up a loop, yo and pull through 1 loop (counts as ch 1), [yo and draw through 2 loops] twice.
- ch – chain
- fdc – foundation double crochet – Yo, insert hook in ch 1 from previous st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and pull through 1 loop (counts as ch 1), [yo and draw through 2 loops] twice.
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Entire shawl is crocheted holding one strand of ea yarn together.
- Shawl is worked from top (long) edge with steady decreases to point.
- Holding one strand of ea yarn, beg fdc, 103 fdc. (104 sts) (To adjust size, fdc in multiples of 4 sts until the appropriate length for long edge is reached.)
- Row 1: Turn, *ch 5, sk 3 sts, sc in next st; rep from * across. (26 ch-5 sp)
- Row 2: Turn, *ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp; rep from * across.
- Row 3: Turn, sl st in ea of first 3 ch in first ch-5 sp, *ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp; rep from * across to last ch-5 sp, sk last ch-5 sp. (Decreases 2 sets of ch-5 sp)
- Row 4: Rep Row 2.
- Rep Rows 3 & 4 until 2 ch-5 sp remain, ending after Row 4.
- Row 5: Turn, sl st in ea of first 3 ch in first ch-5 sp, ch 5, sc in next ch-5 sp. Fasten off. (1 ch-5 sp)
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.
Make and attach fringe
- For each fringe, hold one strand of each yarn together and cut strands to 40” (100 cm).
- To attach fringe using crochet hook, insert hook into st or sp indicated below. With fringe strands folded in half, insert hook into fold (center) of strands, pull up a loose loop in st or sp. Yo with both halves of the fringe strands and pull through the loop. Tighten loop to hold fringe in place.
- Starting from top corner, use crochet hook to join fringe to third ch of first ch-5 sp. Working across angled edge, *sk next ch-5 sp, join fringe in next ch-5 sp; rep from * across edge until 2 ch-5 sp before center point. Attach 2 strands of fringe (2 strands of ea yarn/4 strands of yarn) to center point, sk next ch-5 sp, rep from * along edge. Trim fringe as necessary.
© 2014 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use it to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/blog/2014/09/01/free-pattern-a-little-bit-of-bling-shawl. Thanks for supporting indie designers!