I’m delighted to share a free pattern for a 6″ (15 cm) granny square.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
I was working on a larger blanket project and decided to use some of the remnants of the yarn to create this. Enjoy!
Katy – 6″ Square
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6″ (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Baby (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein each in 157 Duckie (CA) and 169 Sweet Pea, or approximately 25 yd (23 m) in each of two colors in any medium weight yarn.
- US I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
Check out Crochet Basics & Beyond (with Kim Werker) on Craftsy!
- Finished Square = 6” (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern (✪ see Special Stitch Patterns, below)
- beg cl – beginning cluster✪
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- cdc – crossed double crochet✪
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster✪
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
Special Stitch Patterns
- beg cl = beginning cluster = Ch 3, (yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and draw through 3 loops on hook.
- cdc = crossed double crochet = Skip st, dc in next st, dc in previously skipped st. (Uses 2 sts)
- cl = cluster = (Yo, insert hook in ring, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) 3 times, yo and draw through 4 loops on hook.
- With CA, ch 4, join with sl st to first ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: Beg cl in ring, ch 2, (cl, ch 2) in ring 5 times, join with sl st to top of beg cl. (6 sts + 6 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st, 3 sc in ch-2 sp, *2 sc in next st, 3 sc in ch-2 sp; rep from * around, join CB with sl st to top of first sc. Fasten of CA. (30 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), dc in next st *hdc, sc in each of next 4 sts, hdc,** 3 dc in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, dc in next st, join with st st to top of first ch 3. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 3, *work 4 cdc over next 8 sts,** (dc, ch 2, dc) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, dc in first st, ch 2, join CA with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off CB. (40 sts, 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 5: Ch 3, dc in same st, *dc in next st, work 4 cdc over next 8 sts, dc in next st,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, (2 dc, ch 2) in last ch-2 sp, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CA. (56 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Rnd 6:.Join CB with sl st in any ch-2 sp, ch 3, *dc in each of next 14 sts,** (dc, ch 3, dc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, (dc, ch 3) in first ch-2 sp, join with sl st to top of ch 3. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.