My name is Marie Segares, and I’m the Proprietress of Underground Crafter. I learned to crochet from my maternal grandmother in 1984, and I’ve been hooked ever since. She tried to teach me to knit, too, but that was far less successful. In 2010, I finally conquered my fear of knitting, and I haven’t looked back since. (Don’t tell the knitting, but crochet is still my favorite!).
I make hot process soap, quilt, sew, and embroider from time to time, too. I also do my fair share of cooking and love to bake.
You may be wondering about the Underground Crafter name. I’m not part of a secret society of crafters (though that would be pretty cool), but I do crochet and knit underground quite a bit while commuting on New York City’s subway system.
Interested in advertising, sponsorship, or other collaborations? Contact me for a media kit.
My patterns have been published by Crochetvolution, Crochet World, Entwine, Galler Yarns, I Like Crochet, I Like Knitting, Inside Crochet, KnitCircus, Kollabora, Love of Crochet, Love of Knitting, Pom Pom Quarterly, and the Quick & Simple Crochet booklet series. I share free self-published patterns on the blog (free crochet patterns and free knitting patterns). You can find all of my patterns on my Ravelry designer page. You can also buy my self-published designs as instant downloads on Craftsy, Etsy, Kollabora, and Ravelry.
I’m a Craft Yarn Council Certified Crochet and Knitting Instructor (Level I) and Certified Crochet and Knitting Teacher (Level II). In addition to private lessons, I regularly teach at the DC 37 Saturday Activity Program. I’ve also taught through the Barnard College Mini Course Program, the Adult School of Montclair, the Brooklyn Workshop Gallery, the Finger Lakes Fiber Arts Festival, Michaels Manhattan, the Mount Vernon Hotel Museum, the North Jersey Fiber Arts Festival, and the Queens Public Library.
I’m a Professional member of, and volunteer book reviewer for, the Crochet Guild of America, a Designer/Teacher member of The Knitting Guild Association, and an Affiliate member of The National Needlearts Association. I’m also a member of the New York City Crochet Guild and Blogs by Latinas. I’m a contributing blogger at Creative Income, Fave Crafts, Oombawka Design Crochet, and Stitch and Unwind.
I was an AllFreeCrochet Top Blogger for 2015 and 2013. In 2014, Crochet Concupiscence awarded my 2014 Hispanic Heritage Month interview series the Awesome Crochet Blog Award for Best Crochet Blog Series. I was awarded the Awesome Crochet Blogger Award for Best Crochet Interviews in 2011, 2012, and 2013.
You can also read more about me on these other sites:
- Designer Spotlight on Pattern Plaza,
- Designer Spotlight on Oombawka Design Crochet,
- Designer Showcase on Moogly,
- Fiber Artist (Fartist) of the Month on Raising Robertsons Crochet,
- Designer Spotlight on The Stitchin’ Mommy,
- Featured Designer on Pattern Plaza,
- The Yarn Thing (audio podcast) with Marly Bird,
- Featured Designer on Posh Pooch Designs,
- Designer interview on Fiber Flux,
- Designer interview on Baroque Purls,
- How I Made My First $10,000 on The Solopreneur Life,
- Behind the Brand interview on Kollabora, and
- Women Entrepreneur Series onS2designs.
Thanks for stopping by! Stay in touch!
- Subscribe to the Underground Crafter newsletter for weekly updates and announcements.
- You can also subscribe to the blog’s RSS feed to receive an email once daily whenever the blog is updated.
- Find me on Pinterest and Twitter as ucrafter.
- Add me to your circles on Google+.
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel.
- Join the Underground Crafter Facebook page or Ravelry group.
- If you’re interested in the business side of crochet and knitting, stop by my Creative Yarn Entrepreneur site, where you can find links to my weekly podcast and more!
If you enjoy link parties, here are some of my favorites to participate in!