Every year, The National Needlearts Association works together with baseball teams around the country to combine two amazing pastimes, watching baseball and the needlecrafts. This year, Lion Brand sponsored my ticket. I’ll be attending with two of my best pals and we’ll be rooting for the Mets against the Pirates on August 16, 2015.
During the game, the Lion Brand Yarn Studio is coordinating a drive for Warm Up America, a charity that distributes crochet and knit blankets and other handmade items to thousands of people each year.
I decided to create my own Warm Up America block pattern to share with you. It features on of my favorite stitch combinations. Even if you aren’t attending the game, consider donating a block. You can find more information about how you can get involved on the Warm Up America website.
This post contains affiliate links. The yarn for the samples was generously provided by Lion Brand.
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 7” (18 cm) wide x 9” (23 cm) long.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Baby (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein in 132 Goldfish, or approximately 63 yd (57.5 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Finished block = 7” (18 cm) wide x 9” (23 cm) long. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ldc – long double crochet – Yo, working across front of indicated st, insert hook in previously skipped st, yo and draw up a loop to the height of loop already on hook, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Ch 27 (or any multiple of 3 sts, + 6 sts).
- Row 1: Turn, sk 4 ch (counts as dc + skipped ch), *dc in next 2 ch, ldc in previously skipped st,** sk 1 ch; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 1 ch remaining, dc in last ch. (23 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in same st and in each st across.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), *sk 1 st, dc in next 2 sts, ldc in previously skipped st; rep from * across to last st, dc in last st.
- Rows 4-21: Rep Rows 2 & 3, 9 more times, or until block is approximately 8.5” (21.5 cm) long. Do not fasten off.
- Rnd 1: Turn, ch 1, 2 sc in first st, sc in ea st across row to last st, 3 sc in last st, *turn and begin working along long side, 2 sc in side of next dc, sc in side of sc;** rep from * across to first row, 2 sc in side of first row, turn and begin working along unworked side foundation chain, 3 sc in first st, sc in ea st across to row to last st, 3 sc in last st, rep from * to ** to final row, 2 sc in side of next dc, turn and working along short edge, sc in first st, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block to final measurements if necessary.