I’m sharing a mini interview with Carolyn Calderon, the crochet designer behind The Purple Poncho, along with a roundup of 6 of my favorite free crochet patterns from her collection. This is also the giveaway page for the Festive Bottle Cozy, the fourteenth pattern in the Holiday Stashdown CAL, so read on for details.
This post contains affiliate links.
Mini Interview with Carolyn Calderon
Underground Crafter (UC): How do you know if someone is crochet-worthy?
Carolyn: I like to make things for people who really appreciate the work that goes into the item. I’ve found that people who aren’t crafty don’t know what it takes to complete a project for them. You never know though until you see how the recipient takes care of the item or uses it. For example, I had given a custom purse to my daughter’s friend for her Quinceanera, and when I asked her later how she liked it, she said has it on display in her room and that it is too special to use. She is definitely crochet worthy, and I wish she would use it, I’d make her another one!
UC: What are your favorite types of holiday gift projects to crochet?
Carolyn: Some of my favorite holiday gifts to crochet are snowflakes and angels. I’ve found that snowflakes fit nicely inside Christmas cards. I also like to make a bunch of scarves and hats and then play the white elephant game with my relatives at Christmas. It’s so fun to see them stealing the gifts from each other. It’s also a great way to see who likes what items and what colors.
UC: How do you hold your hook? Pencil, knife, or something else?
Carolyn: I’ve always held my hook like a pencil. I’m comfortable with that hold, and I think that’s why I feel so awkward to knit or do Tunisian crochet. I’ve recently taken up knitting and I’m trying to get used to holding both needles in the knife hold. It’s so hard for me.
UC: What’s on your crochet holiday wishlist?
UC: On my crochet holiday wish list would be more yarn, of course, and more time to crochet! I have several WIPs going of items for me that I never get around to finishing. I’m hoping to unwind over New Year’s and complete them.
Thanks for sharing your answers, Carolyn.
Free Crochet Pattern Roundup
- Recycled Jar Cozy (free pattern available here)
- Easy HDC Beanie (free pattern available here)
- Herringbone Infinity Scarf (free pattern available here)
- Island Breeze Bag (free pattern available here)
- Classic Winter Beanie (free pattern available here)
- Sparkle Hoop Earrings (free pattern available here)
This is the giveaway page for the fourteenth pattern in the CAL by The Purple Poncho.
- Get the free Festive Bottle Cozy pattern.
- Find out more about the Holiday Stashdown CAL here.
- To enter the end-of-giveaway CAL for this pattern, share a picture of your completed Festive Bottle Cozy using the link up below by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on Monday, January 11, 2016.
- You may share one picture of each project you complete using the Festive Bottle Cozy pattern.
- Each completed project will count as one entry in the giveaway.
- Please link directly to the Ravelry project page, Instagram photo, or blog post, not to your main blog or profile.
- One giveaway winner will be chosen from these entries at random to win one of the end-of-CAL giveaway prizes.
- If you share a completed project picture for each of the 15 CAL patterns, you will receive 5 extra entries (for a total of 20) for an end-of-CAL giveaway prize.
- The most clicked on projects from each of the 15 CAL patterns will be entered in an additional giveaway for the “Viewer’s Choice” prize.
- Don’t forget to join the fun in our Facebook and Ravelry groups, too! You can share as many pictures as you like in the groups, but only pictures submitted here will be entered in the giveaway.
I just entered the #HolidayStashdownCAL2015 #giveaway with my Festive Bottle Cozy by The Purple PonchoClick To Tweet
Thanks for sharing!