I recently made a cowl for a swap. My partner had very specific color choices, and I didn’t see a pattern that would let the yarn’s long repeats shine. After trying a few different stitches, I came up with the Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl. I used just one skein of bulky yarn to make this unisex cowl. It’s perfect for a last minute gift, or just to protect your neck from a sudden cold spell. Enjoy the free pattern!
This post contains affiliate links.
Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl Crochet Pattern
by Underground Crafter
This easy stitch pattern makes a quick, one-skein, unisex cowl.
Finished Size: Adult: 6.25” (16 cm) tall x 24” (61 cm) circumference.
- Loops & Threads Charisma (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/109 yd/100 m) – 1 skein #31 Black Raspberry, or approximately 100 yards (91 m) in any bulky weight yarn
- L/8 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Yarn needle.
Gauge: 11 sts in pattern = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern:
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- * Rep from asterisk as indicated.
- Ch 18.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 2 sts (counts as hdc), *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last st, hdc in last st. (17 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 2 (counts as hdc), *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last st, hdc in t-ch.
- Repeat Row 2 until piece measures approximately 24” (61 cm) long.
- Fasten off with 15” (38 cm) yarn tail. With yarn needle and yarn tail, use the reverse mattress stitch (also known as an invisible seam) to join short edges together. Finish off, weave in ends.
- Use a long-repeat variegated yarn to create a “striped” look.
- Leonie Morgan has a great reverse mattress stitch tutorial here.
4 thoughts on “Crochet Pattern: Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl”