I recently made a cowl for a swap. My partner had very specific color choices, and I didn’t see a pattern that would let the yarn’s long repeats shine. After trying a few different stitches, I came up with the Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl. This simple crochet cowl pattern uses just one skein of bulky yarn. This unisex cowl is perfect for a last-minute gift, or just to protect your neck from a sudden cold spell.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.
This simple crochet cowl pattern uses one of my favorite easy stitch combinations. The result is a texture that is gender-neutral. In a different color combination, it could work for almost anyone.
If you make your own Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Quick, Fast in a Hurry Cowl
Simple Crochet Cowl Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple crochet cowl pattern combines an easy stitch pattern with bulky yarn to make a gender-neutral cowl that works up quickly enough to protect against a sudden cold spell or to serve as a last-minute gift.
- Teen/Adult: 6.25” (16 cm) tall x 24” (61 cm) circumference.
- Loops & Threads Charisma (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/109 yd/100 m) – 1 skein #31 Black Raspberry, or approximately 100 yards (91 m) in any bulky weight yarn
- L/8 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge
- Yarn needle.
- 11 sts in pattern = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Work stitches between parentheses into the same stitch or space.
- Ch 18.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 2 ch (counts as hdc), *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, sk 2 sts; repeat from * across to last ch, hdc in last ch. (17 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 2 (counts as hdc), *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, skip 2 sts; repeat from * across to last st, hdc in t-ch.
- Repeat Row 2 until piece measures approximately 24” (61 cm) long. Fasten off with 15” (38 cm) yarn tail.
- Fold Cowl in half along the long edge so that short edges are touching, being careful not to twist.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail and join short edges with mattress stitch seam (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of Cowl.