When you’re crocheting a project with a long foundation chain – like a blanket or a scarf worked lengthwise – it can be so frustrating to discover (typically, at the end of the first row!) that you didn’t count your chains correctly.

This post contains affiliate links.

To prevent having to unravel my project or add on another piece of yarn, I always leave a very long yarn tail of 12” (30 cm) or more at the beginning of any project with a long foundation chain.

Craftsy

Easy fix for when you end Row 1 with too few chains

When I get to the end of the first row and find I need to add a few more chains to my project, I pull up the loop on the hook so that it is very tall and won’t unravel.

Next, I remove my hook. I locate the slip knot I created at the beginning of my chain. I gently untie my slip knot until it forms a small loop.

I place this loop on my crochet hook, and add as many stitches to the foundation chain as I need.

(This time, I’m sure to check my count again before fastening off the foundation chain!)

Foundation Chain Too Long or Short 11

I finish by returning my hook to the loop and continuing across Row 1. I may waste a few inches of yarn when I’ve counted the chain correctly, but I save myself a lot of frustration when my chain is too short.

Foundation Chain Too Long or Short 12

728 X 90 banner

Easy fix for when you end Row 1 with too many chains

Sometimes, the opposite happens. I finish the first row and  find that I started with too many chains.

Easy fixes for a foundation chain with too few or too many chains on Underground Crafter #TipsTuesday #crochetI locate the slip knot I created at the beginning of my chain.

I gently untie my slip knot.

I slowly unravel each extra chain until I reach the base of the last stitch of the first row.

I hold the base of the last stitch in one hand and the yarn tail in the other and pull them gently apart.

Easy fixes for a foundation chain with too few or too many chains on Underground Crafter #TipsTuesday #crochetThis forms a new slip knot and the end of my first row.

I hope you enjoyed this crochet tip! If you have a crochet question – or a tip of your own – leave it in the comments!

Tagged on:

50 thoughts on “Easy Fixes for a Foundation Chain with Too Few or Too Many Chains | #Crochet #TipsTuesday

• May 27, 2015 at 8:49 am

Thanks for this tip. There’s times I’ve miscounted too.. I think I have shared your link about unraveling if there’s too many chains. Sometimes I need to be shown. Then I kinda do a “well dah!”
    Thx again♡

• May 29, 2015 at 1:36 am

Glad it could help, Linda! It took me a long time to figure this one and I know all about that “well dah” moment!

• May 31, 2015 at 10:39 am

I’ve just seen a post which left the edge of a striped afghan very uneven. I’m thinking the add on technique could be adapted and used here too. Ideas yet?

• May 31, 2015 at 1:45 pm

Linda, without seeing the actual blanket, I would probably recommend blocking an uneven edge or adding a border rather than adding stitches to a completed afghan. Hope this helps!

• June 5, 2015 at 10:31 am

Hi. It wasn’t my blanket and it’s now buried deep in posts on a fb group page. It was a stripped blanket and the stitches were simple double crochet.
            The problem was incorrect stitch counts and the person didn’t notice until 6 rows later. She asked for suggestions. And dreeded the thought of frogging it. I was thinking of adding on stitches in the same manner you added on to your foundation chains. But…she frogged it.
            It was just a thought. Thx. Linda.

• May 31, 2015 at 2:52 am

wish i would have known this 5 months ago when i first started to crochet, lol!! i cant seem to count, maybe i should be going back to kindergarten, lol 😀 !!! this will be a life saver! (it is one reason i learned, finally, how to do the chainless foundation, but that cause a new problem cause i dont know really how to count those stitches, lol :D. i learned by watching youtube vids, and everyone that does vids, no one seems to do this as their base so i can learn the ins and outs of this!! i will have to keep searching, but in the mean time, know i can fix my mis-counting thanks to you!! no more avoiding chain stitches!! thanks 🙂

• May 31, 2015 at 1:46 pm

So glad it could help, cindyzs! Let me know if you have other crochet problems/questions you’d like to see answered on Tips Tuesday.

• October 14, 2015 at 12:54 am

I was having a very similar problem and in order to help myself keep a better count I started placing stitch markers at every tenth stitch. This helped me a great deal and it might make it easier for you. When there was not a stitch marker for me to use (I keep a bunch of the scrap yarn) I just grabbed a piece of yarn and used it for my marker.

• October 14, 2015 at 2:56 pm

This is a great tip, Phyllis! I use a lot more stitch markers for knitting, but they are useful for crochet, too.

• Pingback:Link Blast 5/31/15 | Jessie At Home

• July 8, 2015 at 1:50 pm

This is great information.. I can’t count how many times I have had to take out the second row because I miss counted.

I am happy that I have found your website and the current CAL project.

Thanks again..

• July 10, 2015 at 12:04 am

Haha, I had the same problem many times, Christina, so I’m glad to help out a fellow crocheter.

• Pingback:Tips and Techniques: Getting to Know Alpaca Yarn & Free Crochet Infinity Scarf Pattern

• Pingback:Printable Pattern: Free Crochet Prayer Shawl

• September 9, 2015 at 3:42 pm

Loved this!! I have, through trial and error, learned this. Wish I had seen your tips long ago!! Also, I have a problem keeping long starting chains from twisting when you have to join them in a circle. To avoid that problem I make my chain and then work my first row of stitches without having joined. At the end of the first row I finally make the join as it much easier to see if the work is twisted or not. I use the beginning tail to sew the bottom of the beginning chain together. This has saved me a lot of frogging and headache!! Maybe this can help someone else avoid crochet troubles.

• September 9, 2015 at 6:15 pm

Great point, Mimi! I do the same, and for the same reason. (I guess it is something we learn from trial and error!)

• Pingback:Free pattern: Alpaca Caress Infinity Scarf | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Free pattern: Herringbone Scarf with Lacy Shells | Underground Crafter

• June 8, 2016 at 5:38 pm

• November 10, 2016 at 3:38 pm

My husband’s aunt taught me some tips and tricks as she taught me to knit and crochet years ago. This tip for too few or too many stitches has been used more times than I can count over the years. Thanks for sharing with others. I also use stitch markers or safety pins or bits of yarn to keep count of my foundation row.

• Pingback:Free pattern: Lacy Tencel Scarf | Underground Crafter

• January 10, 2017 at 2:05 pm

thank you, you saved the project or at least my peace of mind

• Pingback:Free pattern: Gentle Gradient Ripple Blanket with video tutorial | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Stormy Isle Wrap | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Crosshatch Stitch Baby Blanket With Video | Underground Crafter

• June 18, 2017 at 7:01 pm

Oh thanks so much for your tips and the wonderful other comments that I just read! So helpful! Thanks everyone.
    Maureen Healy

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern Set: Meandering Walk in the Woods Ripple Scarf and Basketweave Beanie | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Vintage Infinity Scarf | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: The Wripple Blanket | Underground Crafter

• January 9, 2018 at 3:22 am

You have saved my life spent 2 evenings redoing crochet because chain was too long after I’d crochet into it … a lifesaver

• Pingback:Shell Shawl | Crochet Cabana

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Peacock Shell Triangular Scarf | Underground Crafter

• May 30, 2018 at 1:32 pm

What a lifesaver you are! After calculating the number of chains I needed for my project after finishing Row 1, I realized the project would turn out way too wide. I followed your instructions for reducing the number of chains and it worked perfectly! Thanks.

• June 24, 2018 at 9:49 am

I’m so glad I found your post. I will definitely bookmark it. It just saved me work on an afghan I had started. I had not left enough extra when I started but even with having to add yarn, it looks fine.

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Black Cat Softie | Underground Crafter

• October 16, 2018 at 2:21 pm

Thanks for the tips they are very helpful, I have those problems all the time.

• October 16, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Great idea, thanks.

• October 16, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Thank you so much for this great information. I often seem to have the foundation count off by a few stitches.
    Even if I count out loud while I am making the chain (which makes my kids look at me questioning way).

• October 16, 2018 at 11:07 pm

What a great tip. Usually when I get toward the end of the chain I hold my breath and prayer that I have the right number. Now if I don’t I can fix it thanks to you…Thank you so much

• October 17, 2018 at 1:45 pm

Thank you , thank you, thank you!

• October 17, 2018 at 8:09 pm

After making the short or over mistakes many times, I just add 10 stitches to the end of the chain row on EVERY pattern. If it is short, you have enough, if it is over, just undo the last few. This has saved many hours of redoing the chain!!!

• October 18, 2018 at 11:43 am

Thank you that helps a lot done it to many times

• October 25, 2018 at 5:25 pm

I was short 2 chains, cant thank you enough

• October 31, 2018 at 3:10 am

Excellent tip about adding extra chains! Thank you.

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Bonfire Fringe Scarf | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Crochet Pattern: Teeny Ripples | Underground Crafter

• Pingback:Becoming Scarf | Free Crochet Pattern by Guest Designer, Marie Sergares/Underground Crafter | Hooked by Kati

• May 31, 2020 at 2:24 am

Thanks for the great tips.
    So helpful to have options other than starting again!!
    I will jsut need to remember not to make the starting chain too tight, and to make sure I leave a long tail!!