Double-ended crochet is one of my favorite hidden secrets of crochet. It’s much easier to do than it seems and it creates fabulous reversible projects.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’ve never done double-ended crochet before, the Skinny Minny Scarf is the perfect pattern to try it on.
I used two different weights of yarn – Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable, a medium weight yarn, and Red Heart Grande, a super bulky weight yarn. I love the way this turned out! It’s a great accent scarf to wear year round.
If you’re new to double-ended crochet, I’ve included a video tutorial after the pattern.
Skinny Minny Scarf
Double-Ended Tunisian Crochet Pattern
by Underground Crafter
- Adult. 3.5” (9 cm) wide x 59.5” (151 cm) long.
- Red Heart Grande (76% acrylic/22% wool, 5.29 oz/150 g/46 yd/42 m) – 1 skein in Nectar (CA), or approximately 46 yd (42 m) in any super bulky weight yarn.
- Red Heart Boutique Unforgettable (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/280 yd/256 m) – 1 skein in Springtime (CB), or approximately 56 yd (51 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size Q/16 mm double-ended crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 8 sts in pattern = 3.5” (9 cm) wide. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- Tss – Tunisian simple st – Insert hook under next vertical bar, yo and draw up loop onto hook.
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Always sk first vertical bar (below first loop on hook) at beginning of row.
- A video tutorial is available at the end of this pattern.
- With CA, ch 8.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 1 ch, *insert hook in next ch, yo and pull up a loop; rep from * across. (8 sts)
- Row 2: Slide loops to other hook, turn. With CB, ch 1, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * across.
- Row 3: Tss in ea vertical bar across.
- Row 4: Slide loops to other hook, turn. With CA, ch 1, *yo and draw through 2 loops; rep from * across.
- Row 5: Rep Row 3.
- Rep Rows 2-5 until scarf measures approximately 58” (147 cm) long, or until 45” (114 cm) of CA remain, or until desired length is reached, ending after Row 4.
- Final Row: With CA, *insert hook under next vertical bar as for Tss, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through both loops on hook; rep from * across. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
© 2016 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/2016/05/25/free-double-ended-tunisian-crochet-pattern-skinny-minny-scarf. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Watch the video tutorial for this pattern below. If you can’t see the video, click here to watch it on YouTube.