I’m excited to be sharing my pattern today for the Spa Basket Crochet-a-Long! You can find more information about this fun CAL, including links to all of the other patterns and more details about the giveaway prizes, in this post on Stitches ‘N’ Scraps.
Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Red Heart.
Before I tell you about my pattern, let me share some information about the featured giveaway prize.
Eucalan will be providing a jar of Wrapture Balm to one lucky winner. According to Eucalan:
Based on the seductive scent of Jasmine, Wrapture Balm is a first for Eucalan with an eco-friendly balm made from essential oils and is perfect for rough skin, cuticles, dry hair and of course as a perfume. It is a portable, compact handbag essential that won’t leak and makes it easy for air travel.
Wrapture’s emollient rich formula feels silky and absorbs quickly leaving behind the beautifully intoxicating scent of jasmine with is a natural aphrodisiac. Created in collaboration with Kristin Omdahl.
You may also know Eucalan for their gentle wash products. You can enter the giveaway (for your chance to win Wrapture Balm or one of the other 11 prizes) here through December 7, 2016. Please note this giveaway is only open to those with addresses in the United States.
Now that we’ve gotten the goodies out of the way, let me tell you about my pattern!
I am not much of a spa person, but I do like to give myself home manicures (and pedicures), so I thought what would be better than making my very own, beautiful crochet manicure roll?
If you make your own Grit Stitch Manicure Roll, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, Google+ as +UndergroundCrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. If you’re participating in the CAL, you can also use the hashtag #SpaBasketCAL.
Add the Grit Stitch Manicure Roll to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Grit Stitch Manicure Roll
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple stitch pattern creates a sturdy but textured manicure roll.
- Manicure Roll: Approximately 7” (18 cm) square when unrolled.
- Red Heart Crème de la Crème Solids yarn (100% cotton, 2.5 oz/71 g/125 yd/114 m) – 1 skein in 0400 Grey (CA), or approximately 66 yd (60.5 m) in any medium weight cotton yarn.
- Red Heart Crème de la Crème Multis yarn (100% cotton, 2 oz/57 g/98 yd/90 m) – 1 skein in 0970 Pretty in Pinks (CB), or approximately 33 yd (30 m) in any medium weight cotton yarn.
- US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 4 manicure tools, such as nail clipper, cuticle trimmer, emery nail file, tweezers.
- 16 sts x 18 rows = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern but stitches should be small so that manicure tools don’t easy slip through stitches.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- ea – each
- FL – front loop only
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Manicure roll is crocheted flat in one piece. Pocket is then folded over and partially seamed. An edging is crocheted in the round. A ribbon is then crocheted to the edge so the roll can be tied closed with a bow.
- Exact gauge is not critical, but stitches should be small so that manicure tools don’t easily slip through. Use a smaller hook or tighter tension if necessary. Starting chain can be adjusted but should measure approximately 6.5” (16.5 cm) to start.
- With CA, ch 31 (or any multiple of 2 sts, +3).
- Row 1: Turn, sk 2 sts (counts as sc), sc in next ch, *sk 1 ch, 2 sc in next ch; rep from * across to last 2 ch, sk 1 ch, sc in last ch. (29 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1 (counts as sc, here and throughout), sc in same st, *sk 1 st, 2 sc in next st; rep from * across to last 2 sts, sk 1 st, sc in top of turning ch.
- Rep Row 2 until pieces measures approximately 6” (15 cm) long.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, scBL in next st and ea st across, changing to CB in last yarn over of final sc in turning chain. Fasten off CA.
Form inside pocket
- Rep Row 2 until CB section measures approximately 2.25” (5.5 cm). Fasten off CB with long yarn tail (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for seaming.
Assemble inside pocket
- Fold pocket at indent formed by stitches worked into BL at Row 3.
- Unworked FL from Row 3 should face the outside.
- Thread yarn needle with yarn tail. *(Insert needle through both loops of next CB st and inner loop of corresponding CA st to join)** twice.
- Insert yarn needle through inner loop of next 3 CA sts to carry yarn across row.
- Rep from * across 3 more times to last 9 sts, rep from * to ** 9 times, fasten off.
- Turn piece with outside facing, join CA with sl st to corner at Row 1, ch 1, turn to begin working in the round across rows, 3 sc in corner st, sc in side of ea row across (working through both layers at pocket) to Row 3 (unworked FL edge), 3 sc in corner st, turn, sc in ea unworked FL across Row 3, 3 sc in corner st, turn, sc in side of ea row across (working through both layers at pocket) to Row 1, 3 sc in corner st, turn, sc in ea st across Row 1, join with sl st to first sc, fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
- With outside facing, join CB with sl st just above fully seamed side of pocket, ch for approximately 12” (30.5 cm), *turn, sk 1 ch, sc in ea ch across, sl st to next st on case,** ch for approximately 7” (18 cm), rep from * to **, fasten off CB.
- Insert manicure tools into slots in pocket.
- Fold side of roll without ribbon towards center.
- Fold side of roll with ribbon over.
- Wrap longer ribbon around back of roll.
- Tie ribbon into bow.