It seems that the groundhogs were divided last week, but I’m going to assume that we are in for an early spring, so let’s start playing with lace! Week 4 of the New Year, New Skill crochet-a-long is all about broomstick lace and this week features four different broomstick crochet patterns by three designers. (If you’re just hearing about the CAL, you can find more details and a regularly updated schedule here.)
This post contains affiliate links.
Week 4: Broomstick Lace
Broomstick lace, sometimes known as jiffy lace, is a surprisingly easy crochet technique where you use an object with a large diameter – like a broomstick, knitting needle, large emory board, or folded cardboard – to create large loops which you can then crochet into to create lace. It’s also sometimes called jiffy lace.You can learn more about broomstick lace here and find a roundup featuring over 30 (mostly free) broomstick lace patterns here.
How to join the New Year, New Skill CAL
- Get the full schedule here. You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #calcentralcrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join our Facebook or Ravelry groups.
- Each week, our featured designers will be available to answer questions in our groups and to share some of their other work with you.
- By the end of the CAL you’ll have up to 26 beautiful projects and will have learned or mastered 7 different skills.
New Year, New Skill Week 4 Patterns
Choose one (or more) of these patterns to help you learn or master broomstick lace!
- Broomstick Lace Scarf with video tutorial by Naztazia.
- Infinity and Beyond Broomstick Lace Scarf with photo tutorial by Speckless.
- Marian’s Riding Hood: A Long Sleeved Cowl with video tutorials by KatiDCreations. Kati is also offering her Jessica’s Broomstick Lace hat pattern for 50% off through Friday, February 10, 2017 with coupon code Broomstick Lace.
- Broomstick Lace Baby Blanket with video tutorial by Naztazia.