This is the fifth post in my series of roundups for handmade gift ideas for the winter holiday season. Today’s roundup includes 40 handmade gift ideas for men, including 2 free sewing tutorials, 20 free crochet patterns, and 18 free knitting patterns. These patterns include bags, hats, and scarves.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
40 Handmade Gift Ideas for Men
Roundup by Underground Crafter
2 Sewing Tutorials
These two sewing tutorials include plenty of photos to help you create a great project.
- DIY Running Belt by The Crafting Chicks: This running belt makes the perfect gift for a jogger or cross trainer on your gift list.
- Men’s Messenger Bag Tutorial by Sew What Alicia: This DIY satchel project includes a helpful photo tutorial.
18 Knitting Patterns
These 18 patterns include hats, scarves, cowls, and even a sweater and shawl! Several of these patterns include a child sized option, too, if you’d like to make a “daddy and me” set.
- Two Dollar Scarf by The Crochet Architect: This simple seed stitch scarf is another one-skein project.
- Garter Rib Beanie by Underground Crafter: This beginner-friendly, textured beanie pattern is available in 8 sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Waldeinsamkeit hat by Caitlin ffrench: This pattern is named for a German word for woodland solitude and would be a great gift for your favorite hiker.
- Checkerboard Cable Scarf by Underground Crafter: This cabled scarf is available in child and adult sizes and is knit holding 2 strands of yarn together.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Diamond Slouchy Hat by Melody’s Makings: This textured, slouchy hat pattern is available in 9 sizes from newborn through adult male and includes a video tutorial. There’s also a crochet version!
- Jack & Jill Sweater by Stitches’n’Scraps: This cozy, textured sweater pattern is available in 4 adult sizes.
- Plumo Gradient Scarf by Very Pink: This colorful scarf includes a video tutorial.
- Deku Leaf shawl by Michael Frazer: This pattern for an oversized shawl is named for an object from a Legend of Zelda game.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Cables Scarf by Olena Huffmire Designs: This striking cabled scarf includes tips for tracking your rows while working the pattern.
- Bigger Than Small Cowl by Caitlin ffrench: This jumbo, buttoned cowl can be wrapped around twice.
- Basic Stocking Hat by Jessie At Home: This beginner-friendly pattern is available in 4 child and adult sizes.
- Gallway Bay Ribbed Hats by marianna’s lazy daisy days: This cozy, ribbed hat pattern is available in 4 child and adult sizes.
- Will It Go Round in Circles hat by Yaya LovesToKnit: This textured hat uses a self-striping yarn for colorwork.
- Limingen hat by DROPS Design: This simple, men’s hat pattern is available in 2 sizes.
- The Garbonacci I Scarf by Nisey Knits: This garter stitch scarf uses the Fibonacci sequence for the stripes.
- Clark Park Hat by Creature Comforts Designs for O-Wool: This stretchy, ribbed hat features three colors of light weight yarn.
- Maenporth cowl by Kezia Cole: This landscape-inspired cowl can also be worn as a headband if he has big hair.
- Softyak Slouch Hat by Churchmouse Yarns & Teas: This slouchy hat uses subtle texture and color changes.
20 Crochet Patterns
These patterns include hats and scarves in several styles.
- Freshman Slouch by Blackstone Designs: This striped slouch can be topped off with a pom pom.
- Faux Mistake Rib Watchman’s Cap by Underground Crafter: This stretchy, knit-look watchman’s cap pattern is available in 8 sizes from newborn through adult large.
- Simple Double Crochet Slouch Hat by Oombawka Design: This pattern is available in 11 sizes from preemie through adult large and includes tips for making a striped version.
- Snappy Headwarmer by Snappy Tots: This pattern combines a cowl and headband into a textured face-warmer.
- Tunisian Extended Knit Scarf by Underground Crafter: This knit-look scarf includes a complete video tutorial for Tunisian crochet newbies.
- DJ’s Guy Hat by ELK Studio: This striped hat is worked from the top down.
- Plaid Slouchy Hat by Whistle and Ivy: This is just one of Whistle and Ivy’s collection of plaid patterns and it includes a video tutorial.
- Stripes and Blocks Scarf by Moogly: Use three different colors to make this long, striped scarf.
- Coastal Redwood Super Scarf by Underground Crafter: This ultra long, plush scarf has a subtle texture.
- Infinity Rugby Scarf by Little Monkeys Crochet: This striped infinity scarf could be customized with favorite team colors.
- Just for Him Classic Ribbed Scarf by Oombawka Design: This knit-look scarf includes a photo tutorial.
- Bulky Faux Mistake Rib Scarf by Underground Crafter: This stretchy, dude-approved scarf uses just one-skein of Lion Brand Scarfie.
- Waffle Stitch Scarf by Fiber Flux: This plush, textured scarf includes a video tutorial.
- Hudson Scarf by Two of Wands: This simple ribbed scarf is perfect for a guy who doesn’t like “fussy” crochet.
- Brain Waves Beanie by Playin’ Hooky Designs: This stylish hat also has a matching (free) coffee cozy pattern so you can make a set for a coffee-loving dude. You can find more hat patterns by Liz in this interview and roundup.
- Cabled Golf Cap by Moogly: This textured golf cap includes links to helpful stitch tutorials and is also translated into Dutch.
- Gray Shells Scarf by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This cozy scarf is another one-skein project in Lion Brand Scarfie.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Bucktown Slouch by Stitches’n’Scraps: This cozy slouch hat will keep his head warm while also allowing for some air flow.
- Ombre Ridges Scarf by Beatrice Ryan Designs: This textured scarf is a one-skein project in Lion Brand Scarfie.
- Autumn Chill Angled Super Scarf by Left in Knots: This long and wide textured scarf has angled edges.
If you enjoyed this roundup, follow my Crochet Pattern Roundups or Knitting Pattern Roundups boards on Pinterest!