The knitting pattern for the Hurdle Stitch Square combines a 1 x 1 ribbing pattern with garter stitch rows to create a boxy look and a fun texture. The stitch pattern is easy to remember, so it’s a great square for knitting newbies or for tv knitting for more advanced knitters. This pattern is the fifth square in the Harmony Blanket Knit Along.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links.Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand.
For each of the patterns I’m designing in the Harmony Blanket KAL, I’ll be highlighting the book where I came across the stitch pattern. This pattern is from the Complete Photo Guide to Knitting by Margaret Hubert.
You can find my complete review of the first edition of this book, along with an interview with Margaret Hubert, here. (Spoiler alert: It’s also on my list of Must-Have Beginner Knitting Books!) Since my first review, the book has been updated to include even more stitch patterns and projects.
About the Harmony Blanket KAL
- Get all the details on this KAL featuring 48 free knitting patterns by 13 designers here.
- Chat with other knitters in our KAL Corner Facebook group, or in this thread in the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- Sign up for the KAL Corner email list to get a weekly email when a new pattern is available.
If you make your own Hurdle Stitch Square, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Hurdle Stitch Square to your Ravelry favorites or queue.
Hurdle Stitch Square
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
- 6″ (15 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g/170 yd/156 m) – 1 skein in 158 Mustard, or approximately 38 yd (35 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size 7/4.5 mm knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Completed square = 6″ (15 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sl 1 – slip 1 st, knitwise
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Pattern repeat is any odd number of sts, + 8 sts for borders.
- CO 27 sts.
- Border Row 1: K to last st, p1.
- Border Row 2: Sl 1, k to last st, p1.
- Border Rows 3 & 4: Rep Row 2 twice.
Hurdle Stitch Pattern
- Row 1: (RS) Sl 1, k5, *p1, k1; rep from * across to last 5 sts, k4, p1.
- Row 2: Sl 1, k4, *p1, k1; rep from * across to last 4 sts, k3, p1.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Border Row 2 twice.
- Rep Rows 1-4 until square measures approximately 5.5″ (14 cm), ending after Row 2.
- Border Rows 1-4: Rep Border Row 2, 4 times.
- BO in pattern for Border Row 2. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 3 times the width of square).