This is the third in a series of 12 weeks of roundups for the handmade holidays! I’m sharing 32 free patterns and tutorials for scarves and cowls, including 7 fabric tutorials, 10 knitting patterns, and 15 crochet patterns. This roundup includes feminine and unisex scarves and cowls that make wonderful gifts.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
32 Handmade Scarf and Cowl Patterns and Tutorials That Make Great Gifts
Roundup by Underground Crafter
Scarves and cowls are some of my favorite handmade gifts to give. They are practical in most parts of the world (at least for a few months) and they can be enjoyed by men, women, teens, and school-aged children. Although this roundup mostly includes warm neckwear for the colder weather, there are a few lightweight and openwork options that can be worn in warmer climates, too.
7 Handmade Fabric Scarf Tutorials
These tutorials include both no-sew dyeing and iron-on project and sewing projects made from fabric.
- Plaid Flannel Blanket Scarf by Sweet Red Poppy: This no-sew project includes a video tutorial.
- Galaxy Infinity Scarf by Doodlecraft: This project combines light sewing, tie dyeing, and fabric painting to make the perfect gift for your favorite sci fi fan.
- Marble Dyed Silk Scarves by Fiber Artsy: This no-sew tutorial demonstrates how to dye silk scarf blanks.
- Linen and Pom Pom Infinity Scarf by A Happy Stitch: This sewing project for a quirky scarf includes a detailed photo tutorial.
- Burnout Jersey Infinity Scarf by Doodlecraft: This speedy sewing project would be great for using up remnant yardage.
- HTV on Silk Scarf by The Country Chic Cottage: This no-sew Cricut project is a great introduction to using iron-on for embellishment.
- Jersey and Lace Infinity Scarf by Doodlecraft: This 15-minute sewing project has a touch of lace.
10 Knitting Patterns
These patterns include easy and intermediate knitting patterns for scarves and cowls in a variety of styles. There’s even a finger knitting project!
- Fire Beads Scarf by Underground Crafter: This knitting pattern combines a simple stitch pattern with a bulky, textured yarn for a funky scarf that works up quickly.
- EZ Yarn Scarf by Sisters, What!: This finger knitting project uses a loop yarn and includes a video tutorial.
- Cedar Hill Scarf by Two of Wands: This knitting pattern uses a combination of classic stitch patterns for a timeless, unisex look.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Wriggly Cowl by Knitting and so on: This knitting pattern is a great stashbuster project.
- Reflecting Pool Cowl by Balls to the Walls Knits: This knitting pattern combines cables, lace, and variegated yarn to create a beautiful cowl.
- Dinora Cowl by Lilia Craft Party: This knitting pattern includes a photo tutorial for the braiding technique.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Easy Triangle Scarf by Handy Little Me: This beginner-friendly knitting pattern includes linked tutorials.
- Up Down Left Right Cowl by Underground Crafter: This knitting pattern is gifted as a free PDF to all of my newsletter subscribers. Sign up for my weekly newsletter here.
- Meander Cowl by Heddi Craft Designs: This seemingly intricate knitting colorwork project uses slipped stitches, so you only work one color at a time.
- Mouse Scarf by Susan Campbell: This knitting project makes an adorable gift for a child on your handmade holiday list.
15 Crochet Patterns
These 15 free crochet patterns include cowls, infinity and circle scarves, and straight scarves, as well as several matching hat and scarf sets.
- Celestial Button Cowl by Janaya Chouinard: This crochet pattern includes links to the matching wrist warmers, circle cowl, and hat patterns.
- Jane’s Cowl by Little Monkeys Designs: This crochet pattern inspired by Jane Eyre combines lace with texture and is closed with buttons.
- Down the Moonlight Path Super Scarf by Yarnspirations for AllFreeCrochet: This crochet pattern includes written instructions and an international stitch symbol chart.
- Autumn Air by Stitches n Scraps: This Tunisian crochet entrelac cowl pattern is being released in sections with video tutorials.
Second row, from left to right:
- Easy Color Blocked Scarf and Beanie Set by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: This 3-color crochet project is unisex.
- Stagger Stitch Dimensions Cowl by Yarnspirations via AllFreeCrochet: This crochet infinity scarf uses a one-row pattern repeat.
- Granite Stitch Hat and Cowl Set by Blackstone Designs: The crochet pattern for this buttoned cowl includes a matching hat.
- Galactic Grape Super Scarf by The Stitchin’ Mommy for AllFreeCrochet: This chunky, long crochet scarf is made with a two-row repeating pattern.
Third row, from left to right:
- Mitered Square Scarf by Underground Crafter: Let the yarn do the colorwork for you in this simple, unisex crochet pattern.
- Miss Mille Scarf by Wilmade: This simple crochet pattern uses slip stitch overlay for dramatic effect. It includes a video tutorial.
- Black and White by Magdalena Melzer and Anne Thiemeyer: This crochet pattern combines color blocking with post stitches.
- Cowl Scarf with Fringe by Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom: This crochet pattern includes a video tutorial for adding fringe.
Bottom row, from left to right:
- Peekaboo Puff Stitch Cowl by Stitching Together: This crochet pattern includes helpful progress photos for the puff stitch placement.
- Rustic Canyon Scarf by All About Ami: This crochet striped scarf makes a great unisex gift.
- Split Screen Pom Pom Scarf by Underground Crafter: This crochet scarf has two personalities: a solid, reliable side and a lacy, quirky side.
Need more scarf and cowl inspiration? Check out these roundups!
50+ Patterns and Tutorials for Scarves and Cowls
Super Scarf Roundup
16 Free Crochet Patterns for Rectangular Scarves