The Roberta Beanie is a simple, knit-look crochet hat pattern that pairs well with a beautiful, hand dyed yarn. The pattern is available in six sizes from preemie through adult.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was provided by Roberta Rae Fibers.
This year, I made the decision to use more indie yarns and as part of that adventure, I was introduced to Roberta Rae Fibers. Charlotte and Jerlyn are the dyers behind this Michigan-based company.
Roberta Rae Michigan Worsted yarn is made with wool from Michigan farmers, it’s spun at a fiber mill in Michigan, and it’s also dyed in Michigan. It’s truly a local yarn!
If you make your own Roberta Beanie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Roberta Beanie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple, knit-look beanie is a great way to highlight a special yarn.
- Preemie (Newborn, Infant, Toddler, Child, Teen/Adult). Photographed sample is size Teen/Adult.
- Preemie: 11” (28 cm) hat circumference x 4.5” (11.5 cm) height.
- Newborn: 12.5” (32 cm) hat circumference x 5” (13 cm) height.
- Infant: 15” (38 cm) hat circumference x 6” (15 cm) height.
- Toddler: 17.25” (44 cm) hat circumference x 6.75” (17 cm) height.
- Child: 19.5” (49.5 cm) hat circumference x 7.5” (19 cm) height.
- Teen/Adult: 22” (56 cm) hat circumference x 8” (20.5 cm) height.
- Roberta Rae Michigan Worsted yarn (100% wool, 3.5 oz/100 g, 200 yd/183 m) – 1 skein in Mint Frappe, or approximately 55 yd (70 yd/100 yd/125 yd/160 yd/190 yd)/50.5 m (64 m/ 91.5 m/114.5 m/146.5 m/174 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch marker (optional).
- Through Rnd 5 = 3.5” (9 cm) diameter in pattern. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back (3rd) loop only – Moogly has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the third loop in half double crochet here.
- ch – chain
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- This hat is crocheted in the round in unjoined spirals. Place a stitch marker in the last stitch after Rnd 1 and move up each round to mark position.
Increase to Hat Circumference
- Starting at crown, ch 4, sk 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form a ring.
- Rnd 1: Ch 1, 8 hdc in ring, place marker in last st. (8 sts)
- Rnd 2: 2 hdcBL in each st around. (16 sts)
- Rnd 3: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next st; rep from * around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 4: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 2 sts; rep from * around. (32 sts)
- Rnd 5: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 3 sts; rep from * around. (40 sts) (PREEMIE SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 6: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 4 sts; rep from * around. (48 sts) (NEWBORN SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 7: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 5 sts; rep from * around. (56 sts) (INFANT SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 8: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 6 sts; rep from * around. (64 sts) (TODDLER SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 9: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 7 sts; rep from * around. (72 sts) (CHILD SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 10: *2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in next 8 sts; rep from * around. (80 sts) (TEEN/ADULT SIZE ONLY: Continue on to Work Even.)
- Rnd 11: HdcBL in each st around.
- Rnd 12: 2 hdcBL in next st, hdcBL in each st around. — 41 (49, 57, 65, 72, 81) sts
- Rep Rnd 11 until hat measures approximately 4” (4.5”, 5.5”, 6.25”, 6.5”, 7”)/10 cm (11.5 cm, 14 cm, 16 cm, 16.5 cm, 18 cm) from crown. Continue on to Edging.
- Rnd 13: *Hdc in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st; rep from * around to last st, hdc in last st.
- Rnd 14: *Ch 1, sk 1 st, hdc in next ch-1 sp; rep from * around to last st, ch 1, sk 1 st.
- Rnd 15: *Hdc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, sk 1 st; rep from * around to last st, hdc in last ch-1 sp.
- Rep Rnds 14-15 until hat measures approximately 4.5” (5”, 6”, 6.75”, 7.5”, 8”)/11.5 cm (13 cm, 15 cm, 17 cm, 19 cm, 20.5 cm) from crown, ending after either Rnd.
- Finish off with sl st to next hdc and ch-1 sp. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.