The Rustic Hooded Cowl is a textured, chunky knit cowl pattern that you can knit seamlessly in the round, or knit flat on straight needles and then seam. It’s a versatile, unisex hooded cowl that works up quickly in a super bulky, self-striping yarn that does the colorwork for you. The simple, textured stitch pattern is perfect for beginners, or for more advanced knitters looking for a project to work on while distracted.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand. Camera and vinyl backdrop were generously provided by B&H Photo Video and Pro Audio.
I used a new-to-me yarn, Lion Brand Mandala Thick & Quick, for my version. It’s a soft, easy care, self-striping yarn that does the colorwork for you. This chunky knit accessory can be worn as a cowl…
…or as a hooded cowl.
I used a simple, meditative stitch pattern. The pattern naturally rolls at the top and bottom edge because of the stockinette stitch. If you’d like to remove the roll, you can block your hooded cowl after you finish it.
If you’re just hearing about the Finishing Touches Knit Along, you can get all the details including the schedule and how to win prizes from Lion Brand, Clover USA, and Search Press North America in this blog post.
- Sign up for our newsletter to get an email when a new pattern is released.
- You can join in by knitting the patterns as you have time.
- By the end of the KAL, you’ll have up to 24 knitted projects. You’ll also have the chance to win great prizes!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #KALCorner on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other knitters, join the KAL Corner Facebook group or visit this thread in the Underground Crafter Ravelry group
- Use the button below on Ravelry or elsewhere social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Rustic Hooded Cowl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Rustic Hooded Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Rustic Hooded Cowl
Knitting Pattern by Underground Crafter
This versatile, unisex hooded cowl works up quickly in a super bulky, self-striping yarn that does the colorwork for you. The simple, textured stitch pattern is perfect for beginners, or for more advanced knitters looking for a project to work on while distracted. The chunky knit cowl pattern includes instructions for working seamlessly in the round and for knitting flat on straight needles and then seaming. This is the eleventh pattern in the Finishing Touches Knit Along with KAL Corner.
- Adult: 26” (66 cm) circumference x 15” (38 cm) height.
- Lion Brand Mandala Thick & Quick yarn (100% acrylic, 5.3 oz/150 g, 87 yd/79 m) – 2 skeins in 203 Stairwell, or approximately 174 yd (158 m) in any super bulky weight yarn.
- US 13/9 mm circular knitting needles, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Stitch marker.
- 9 sts = 4” (10 cm) across in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BO – bind off
- CO – cast on
- k – knit
- p – purl
- pm – place stitch marker
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
Hooded Cowl – Knit flat on straight needles version
- CO 61 sts, or any multiple of 5 sts, + 6 sts.
- Row 1: (RS) K across.
- Row 2: P across.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Rows 1-2.
- Row 5: *K1, p4; rep from * across to last st, k1.
- Row 6: Rep Row 5.
- Rep Rows 1-6 until hooded cowl measures approximately 15” (38 cm) long, or approximately desired height, ending after a repeat of Row 4.
- BO in pattern for Row 1. Fasten off with long yarn tail (approximately 24”/61 cm) for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail. Fold cowl with RS together. With yarn needle, seam closed with mattress stitch. If you’re new to the mattress stitch, you can find a photo tutorial here.
- Continue on to Finishing.
Hooded Cowl – Knit in the round on circular needles version
- CO 60 sts, or any multiple of 5 sts.
- Set Up Row: (RS) K across, pm, being careful not to twist begin working in the round.
- Rnd 1: K around.
- Rnds 2-3: Rep Rnd 1 twice.
- Rnd 4: *K1, p4; rep from * around.
- Rnd 5: Rep Rnd 4.
- Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 1.
- Rep Rnds 1-6 until hooded cowl measures approximately 15” (38 cm) long, or approximately desired height, ending after a repeat of Rnd 3.
- BO in pattern for Rnd 1. Fasten off.
- Continue on to Finishing.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside (wrong side) of cowl.
- If desired, spray or wet block to reduce curl on edges.