It’s week ten of 12 weeks of roundups including free gift ideas for the handmade holidays! Today’s roundup includes 36+ free patterns and tutorials for handmade penguins. I’ve searched the web to bring you 22 free crochet patterns, 9 free knitting patterns, and 5 free sewing patterns for gifts including penguin softies, hats, home decor projects, and more. I’ve also included links to other roundups with even more projects to choose from, so you’re sure to find your next handmade holiday project. Enjoy!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
36+ Free Handmade Penguin Patterns and Tutorials
The penguin is definitely my favorite flightless bird, and it’s also one of my favorite critters in handmade form! Penguins seem to say cold weather and that makes them perfect for handmade gifts for the winter holidays. Find a special penguin to make for someone on your list!
22 Free Crochet Patterns
These adorable crochet penguin patterns include softies, coasters, hats, and more!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Penguin Family by Oombawka Design Crochet: This penguin family is made using rectangles and includes Santa hat pattern.
- Stuffy the Christmas Penguin by The Stitchin’ Mommy: This cute little penguin will make a wonderful stocking stuffer or companion to a gift.
- Snuggles the Penguin by All About Ami: The little striped super scarf adds a cute touch to this little softie.
- Penguin Luminary by Snappy Tots: This penguin luminary is a companion pattern to the Snowman Luminary.
- Penguin Pal by Divine Debris: This tapestry crochet penguin’s cute belly is decorated with a festive winter snowflake.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Icicle Ike by Snappy Tots: This penguin makes an adorable door decoration for any home with his cute body and scarf.
- Penguin Kawaii Cuddler by 3amgracedesigns: With its cute little hat and scarf, this penguin is super adorable.
- Amigurumi Penguin via Lion Brand: This little penguin is super cute! Make several of these to gift as stocking stuffers.
- Baby Penguin Amigurumi Toy by One Dog Woof: This little baby penguin toy features a fuzzy body that’s super cozy with its festive scarf.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Amigurumi Baby Penguin by Underground Crafter: Gift this adorable and cuddly baby penguin as a stocking stuffer, ornament, or added extra to any gift.
- Amigurumi Howie the Holiday Penguin by FreshStitches: Howie is super festive with his holiday hat with ruffled, loop stitch fur.
- Pretty Penny by Divine Debris: This penguin is festive coaster or even applique pattern that you can use in your home or to add to other projects.
- Penelope the Penguin by The Blue Elephants: Penelope is a beautiful penguin that will make a fantastic stocking stuffer for a child.
- Buttercup Penguin Pal by Love Life Yarn: This penguin is super adorable with its fluffy body and big black eyes.
Fourth column, from top to bottom:
- Baby Penguin by Mama in a Stitch: The little guy features some textured feathers that are just super cute.
- Amigurumi Holiday Penguin via Lion Brand: This festive penguin will make a wonderful desk decoration for your office to add to the holiday cheer.
- Friendly Penguin by The Friendly Red Fox: At about 6”, this cute little penguin will make a wonderful companion.
- Penguin Ornament by Yarnutopia: Adorn your tree this year with this beautifully textured penguin ornament.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Toy Penguin Pattern via Lion Brand: This rotund penguin will make a fantastic toy for any child with his round stout body.
- Penguin Hat by Repeat Crafter Me: This penguin hat is fantastic for any boy or girl with its little red bow. The cute ear flaps and pom poms add a playful touch.
- Little Penguin Doll by Creative Crochet Workshop: With a stout little body, this little penguin doll will make a lovely cuddle buddy.
- Penguin Hat by Wild + Wonderful: This is a fun hat for the entire family that will work up easily.
9 Free Knitting Patterns
These knitting patterns for penguins include softies, a hat, and a wall hanging. Shown clockwise from top left corner.
- Cozy Penguin Hat by Little Red Window: This cute penguin hat will keep your little one’s head warm this winter season.
- Penguin Quilt by Frankie’s Knitted Stuff: This will make a fantastic wall decoration for your home or nursery.
- Penelope Penguin by Cascade Yarns: This adorable critter is available as a free pattern download.
- Cheerful Holiday Penguin by Red Heart Yarns: This little critter wears a striped sweater and scarf.
- Penguins by Flutterby Patch: This simple softie is knit with no shaping and includes detailed assembly photos and instructions.
- Penguins by Frankie’s Knitted Stuff: Make several of these little guys to get an entire penguin family.
- Penguin Hat and Photo Prop by Melody’s Makings: This set is available in 5 infant and child sizes.
- Penguin (Noah’s Ark) by Knitables: This is one of many patterns in the Noah’s Ark series and is knit entirely on straight needles.
- Penguin Soft Toy by Royal Voluntary Service: A project made with this pattern can be donated to help raise funds to help elderly people in Britain.
5 Free Sewing Patterns
These penguin sewing patterns include softies, pot holders, and ornaments. Shown clockwise from top left corner.
- Penguin Stocking Stuffer via AllFreeSewing: Get a step by step guide on how to sew an adorable baby penguin.
- Penguin Pot Holder via AllFreeSewing: This penguin pot holder is dapper looking with its little red bow tie and gold trimmed fabric.
- Simple Penguin Softie by Coloured Buttons: Quickly work up this adorable penguin softie with felt pieces, stuffing, and rice to weigh him down. Just add a gorgeous hand stitching for an added stylish edging.
- Peppy Penguin DIY Ornament via AllFreeSewing: Make several of these to give to friends as a tree ornament this holiday season.
- Peppy Scraps Penguin via AllFreeSewing: This penguin is all kinds of colorful and eclectic! Use up scraps of fabric to make this little guy.
Still looking for more handmade gift idea inspiration? Check out these roundup for more ideas for penguin projects!
- 12+ Free Penguin Crafts via FaveCrafts
- Crochet and Knit a Happy Penguin via Stitch and Unwind