The Bluebird Beanie is a beginner-friendly pom pom beanie crochet pattern. It works up quickly in a bulky yarn using a simple stitch combination that adds great texture. This gender-neutral beanie can be made in different color combinations or with a larger or smaller pom pom for different looks.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Paintbox Yarns.
I like to crochet hats when I have a little bit of downtime because you can finish an entire hat so quickly. There’s something satisfying about that sense of accomplishment!
Personally, I don’t wear hats too often because they generally turn my hair into a mess of static. (If you look closely at the picture, you can see it starting to happen.)
But that’s ok, because hats are also great for gifting, selling at craft markets to people without static-y hair, and for donating to charity. I like to add pom poms to my beanies because why not?! And, also because pom poms are cute. Although many of my beanie patterns use extra-large pom poms, for the Bluebird Beanie, I decided to use a large pom pom instead.
If you make your own Bluebird Beanie, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Bluebird Beanie to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Pom Pom Beanie Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This beginner-friendly pom pom beanie works up quickly in bulky yarn. using a simple stitch pattern.
- Teen/Adult: 22.5” (57 cm) hat circumference x 8.5” (21.5 cm) height.
- Paintbox Yarns Simply Chunky yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 149 yd/136 m) – 1 skein each in 335 Duck Egg Blue (CA), 334 Kingfisher Blue (CB), and 333 Marine Blue (CC), or approximately 125 yd (114.5 m) in CA, 95 yd (87 m) in CB, and 125 yd (114.5 m) in CC in any bulky weight yarn.
- US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain correct gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Clover Pom Pom Maker – Large 3-3/8” size (optional).
- Through Rnd 3 = 4” (10 cm) in pattern. For best fit, always check your gauge.
Abbreviations Used in These Patterns
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses into same stitch or space.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- This pattern is worked in the round from the crown to the brim.
- A helpful tutorial for making pom poms without a pom pom maker is available here.
- With CB, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, 12 dc in ring, join with sl st to first dc. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 dc in same st and each st around, join with sl st to first dc. (24 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next st] around, join with sl st to first dc. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next 2 sts] around, join with sl st to first dc. (48 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next 3 sts] around, join with sl st to first dc. (60 sts)
- Rnd 6: Ch 1, starting in first st [2 dc in next st, dc in next 4 sts] around, change to CC when joining with sl st to first dc, fasten off CB. (72 sts)
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, starting in same st *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, skip 2 sts; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rnd 8: Turn, ch 1, *(sc, hdc, dc) in next dc, skip 2 sts; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rep Rnd 8 until hat measures 7” (18 cm) long, or approximately 1.5” (4 cm) shorter than desired final length, ending with the Right Side facing and joining CB with the sl st to first sc in the final Rnd. Fasten off CC.
- Rnd 9: Ch 1, sc in same st and in each st around, join with sl st to BL of first sc.
- Rnd 10: Ch 1, scBL in same st and in each st around, change to CA when joining with sl st to BL of first sc. Do not fasten off CB.
- Rnd 11: Ch 1, scBL in same st and in each st around, change to CB when joining with sl st to BL of first sc. Fasten off CA.
- Rnd 12: Ch 1, scBL in same st and in each st around, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB.
- With CA, make pom pom following instructions on Clover Large Pom Pom Maker. Alternatively, see Pattern Notes for link to tutorial for making a pom pom by hand.
- Trim pom pom.
- Attach pom pom to hat using yarn needle and yarn tail that tied pom pom together.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on inside of hat.
© 2020 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: https://undergroundcrafter.com/2020/03/02/bluebird-pom-pom-beanie-crochet-pattern/. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
Coming soon… the Chip Off the Old Block Slouchy Hat!