In difficult times, one thing that I do to relieve stress is to crochet granny squares. With all that has happened here in New York, in the United States, and around the world this week, I think it’s granny square time! Since spring is on the way, I decided to release this crochet flower blanket pattern as a blog freebie. The Tinted Mayapple Flower Blanket uses a self-patterning yarn to make colorwork easy, but you can also change colors instead if you’d like to make this a stashbuster project.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Yarn for the sample was generously provided by Bluprint.
The Tinted Mayapple Flower Blanket uses a motif that is a variation on the Mayapple Flower Square, which you can get as a free crochet pattern here.
I made a few changes to the version for this blanket because it used a thicker yarn and also because I wanted the motifs to be a certain size. I love how this crochet flower blanket pattern brightens up a room!
The pattern is available in 4 sizes, from stroller through throw. You can, of course, make it larger by adding more squares, but I haven’t calculated the yardage for that.
Because of the chain one spaces and the layered flower, this is a better decor baby blanket than a “let the baby play with it” blanket since little toesies might get stuck in the openings.
If you make your own Tinted Mayapple Flower Blanket, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Tinted Mayapple Flower Blanket to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Tinted Mayapple Flower Blanket
Crochet Flower Blanket Pattern by Underground Crafter
This show-stopping motif blanket features 6-petal mayapple flowers. A self-striping yarn does all the colorwork for you, so there are fewer ends to weave in on this colorful, motif project.
- Stroller Blanket (Baby Blanket, Child’s Blanket, Throw).
- Stroller Blanket: 23” (58.5 cm) wide x 30.25” (77 cm) long.
- Baby Blanket: 37.5” (95 cm) square.
- Child’s Blanket: 44.75” (113.5 cm) wide x 52” (132 cm) long.
- Throw: 52” (132 cm) square.
- Sprightly Spectrum Worsted yarn (50% acrylic/50% wool, 3.5 oz/100 g/190 yd/174 m) – 5 (10, 13, 18) skeins in 506-005 Mai Tai, or approximately 881 yd (1781 yd, 2956 yd, 3,420 yd/805.5 m (1628.5 m, 2602.5 m, 3,127 m) in any medium weight yarn.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- Motif = 7.25” (18.5 cm) square in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- cdc – crossed double crochet – Skip st, dc in next st, dc in skipped st. A video tutorial for this stitch is available here.
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- pf – puff stitch – Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop, [yo, insert hook in same st, yo and draw up a loop] twice, yo and draw through 7 loops on hook. A video tutorial for this stitch is available here.
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- tr – treble (triple) crochet
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses in same stitch or space.
- Motifs are crocheted in the round with the right (front) side facing up.
- Motifs are connected into 3 (5, 6, 7) panels of 4 (5, 7, 7) Motifs using the “join-as-you-go” method. Alternatively, make 12 (25, 42, 49) Motifs and join into 3 (5, 6, 7) rows of 4 (5, 7, 7) Motifs using your preferred seaming method. Panels are joined with a slip stitch seam. A double crochet border is worked around the assembled blanket.
- Ch 1 at beginning of Rounds does NOT count as a stitch.
- A tutorial for the slip stitch seam is available here.
- A join-as-you-go tutorial is available here.
Blanket First Motif
- Ch 4, skip 3 ch, sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Round 1: Ch 1, [pf, ch 1] 6 times, join with sl st to first pf. (6 pf + 6 ch-1 sp)
- Round 2: Sl st to next ch-1 sp, [ch 3, sl st in next ch-1 sp] 5 times, ch 3, join with sl st to first ch-3 sp. (6 ch-3 sp)
- Round 3: Ch 1, [sc, hdc, 3 dc, hdc, sc] in each ch-3 sp around. (6 petals – 42 sts)
- Round 4: Working behind petals in Round 3, [ch 5, sl st between next 2 petals] 5 times, ch 5, join with sl st to first ch-5 sp. (6 ch-5 sp)
- Round 5: Ch 1, [sc, hdc, 5 dc, hdc, sc] in each ch-5 sp around. (6 petals – 54 sts)
- Round 6: Working behind petals in Round 5, [ch 7, sl st between next 2 petals] 5 times, ch 7, join with sl st to first ch-7 sp. (6 ch-7 sp)
- Round 7: Ch 1, starting in same ch-7 sp, *(11 dc in next ch-7 sp) twice, 10 dc in next ch-7 sp; rep from * once, join with sl st to first dc. (64 sts)
- Round 8: Ch 1, sc in same st, sc in next 4 sts, [*hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next st, (tr, ch 1, tr) in next st, dc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts,** sc in next 9 sts] 3 times, rep from * to ** once, sc in next 4 sts, join with sl st to first sc. (68 sts + 4 ch-1 sp)
- Round 9: Ch 1, dc in same st, [*4 cdc across next 8 sts, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-1 sp, 4 cdc across next 8 sts,** dc in next st] 3 times, rep from * to ** once, join with sl st to first dc. (84 sts + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Round 10: Ch 1, hdc in same st, *[ch 1, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 5 times, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, hdc in next st,** [ch 1, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 5 times; rep from * twice more, rep from * to ** once, [ch 1, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 4 times, ch 1, skip 1 st, join with sl st to first hdc. Fasten off. (60 sts + 40 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
Joining Next Motif
- Rep as for First Motif through Round 9.
- Round 10: With wrong (back) sides of current and finished Motifs facing and working on current Motif, ch 1, hdc in same st, *[ch 1, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 5 times,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in ch-2 sp, hdc in next st, [ch 1, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 5 times; rep from * once, rep from * to ** once, (2 dc, ch 1) in ch-2 sp, join with sc to corner ch-2 sp on finished Motif, 2 dc in ch-2 sp, hdc in next st, [join with sc to next ch-1 sp on finished Motif, skip 1 st, hdc in next st] 10 times, (2 dc) in ch-2 sp, join with sc to corner ch-2 on finished Motif, (ch 1, 2 dc) in ch-2sp, hdc in next st, rep from * to **, ch 1, join with sl st to first hdc. Fasten off. (60 sts + 40 ch-1 sp + 4 ch-2 sp)
- Make 3 (5, 6, 7) First Motifs.
- Attach 3 (4, 6, 6) additional Motifs to each First Motif following Joining Next Motif instructions to create 3 (5, 6, 7) panels, each including 4 (5, 7, 7) Motifs.
- With right (front) sides of panels facing each other, join panels with slip stitch seam on wrong (back) side, starting in ch-2 sp.
- Border Round 1: With right (front) side facing, join with sl st in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 3 (counts as dc), dc in same ch-2 sp, *dc in 3 sts, [dc in ch-1 sp, dc in next st] 10 times,** dc in next 2 sts, dc in ch-2 sp of current square, dc in ch-2 sp of next square; rep from * across to corner ch-2 sp, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in corner ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at ** before first corner ch-2 sp, (2 dc, ch 2) in corner ch-2 sp, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
- Spray block if desired.