Crochet coasters make great last-minute gifts for housewarmings, weddings, birthdays, and holidays. Make a full set of crochet coasters or gift one individually as a mug rug along with a special beverage holder.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I’m a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration. Additional materials for this project were generously provided by Clover USA and HenPeckedHooks.
Earlier this year, I made a set of these simple crochet coasters to mail to my Dad for a birthday gift.
You can make a set in an afternoon, or just make one as a mug rug.
I prefer to use 100% cotton yarn for coasters because it’s absorbent and breathable, it doesn’t melt when exposed to higher heats from a hot cup of coffee, and it’s easy to wash. I’ve been using King Cole Cottonsoft DK yarn for many of my kitchen and bath projects because it’s very soft and comes in some great colors. If you can’t find it at your local yarn shop, you can shop for King Cole Cottonsoft DK at LoveCrafts and Wool Warehouse.
These coasters are sized to fit most mugs with the sunray edging creating a decorative overhang.
Crochet Coasters Pattern by Underground Crafter
Make these simple, textured coasters as a set, or gift them individually as mug rugs.
- Coaster: Approximately 5.5” (14 cm) in diameter.
- King Cole Cottonsoft DK yarn (100% cotton, 3.5 oz/100 g, 229 yd/210 m) – 1 skein in 3461 Antique Gold, or approximately 120 yd (110 m) in any light weight cotton yarn for a set of 4 coasters. PLEASE NOTE: Each coaster uses approximately 30 yd (27.5 m) in light weight cotton yarn; each skein makes 7-9 coasters.
- HenPeckedHooks US Size G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set.
- Yarn needle.
- Through Rnd 11 = 4.5” (11.5 cm) diameter in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
If you make your own Sunshine Coaster, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
This pattern is available as a free download exclusively for Underground Crafter newsletter subscribers. Subscribers can login here.
1 thought on “Sunshine Crochet Coasters Pattern”
Simple with an attractive edging – Thank you for sharing!