I’m excited to kick off the Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet with an adorable amigurumi food pattern, the Carlo and Benedetta Italian Ices.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by Clover USA, Fairfield World, King Cole, and WeCrochet.
As a kid and teen (and ok, even into my twenties and thirties), I loved to get Italian ices (also known as water ices) at my local pizzeria. If you’ve visited New York City or are a native New Yorker like me, you know that pizzerias are basically critical infrastructure here!
Over the years, many of the pizzerias stopped serving Italian ices or opted for the pre-packaged ones, but I preferred the unique, hand scooped ices. Truth be told, I’m a bit of a “reddist” when it comes to flavors so cherry was always my favorite, but my mom was a big fan of lemon.
And, every pizzeria would have some really electric looking color, either lime, or blueberry, or something that looked totally unnatural and would stain your tongue but was super tasty! I used King Cole Paradise Beaches DK yarn for these because its available in fun, summery colors that are perfect for Italian ice amigurumi. Paradise Beaches DK is available at your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts, Deramores, or Wool Warehouse.
These Italian ice amigurumi are quick to work up and make fun decorations, gifts, or stress squeezers.
This pattern is part of the Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Corner. Follow along and be sure to enter the end-of-CAL giveaway here by Sunday, August 22, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern. To join the CAL:
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including links to new CAL patterns, each week. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 10 awesome summer projects!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Carlo and Benedetta Italian Ices Amigurumi, I’d love to see them! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add Carlo and Benedetta Italian Ices Amigurumi to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Carlo and Benedetta Italian Ices Amigurumi
Crochet Amigurumi Pattern by Underground Crafter
These adorable softies can be customized with different colors for the “ices” and by changing the facial expressions.This pattern is part of the Summer Quickies Crochet Along with CAL Central.
- Approximately 6” (cm) tall after stuffing.
Materials (To Make Both/Two Amigurumis)
- King Cole Paradise Beaches DK (70% acrylic, 30% polyamide, 3.5 oz/100 g, 278 yd/255 m) – 1 skein each in 3002 White Russian (CA), 3006 Electric Lemonade (CB), 3003 Pina Colada (CC), and 3007 Pink Gin (CD), or approximately 120 yd (110 m) in CA, 40 yd (36.5 m) each in CB and CC, and 2 yd (2 m) in CD in any light weight yarn.
- WeCrochet Bright US Size 2.5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- 6 mm black safety eyes – 1 pair for each amigurumi.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill, 12 ounce bag.
- Clover Chibi yarn needle.
- Through Rnd 7 in pattern for Cup Base = 2.5” (6.5 cm) diameter. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small so that fiber filling doesn’t show.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- ch – chain
- invdec – invisible decrease – Insert hook in front loop only of each of next 2 sts, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. Planet June has a great invisible decrease tutorial here.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- WS – wrong (back) side
- yo – yarn over
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- When choosing colors, note CA is the color of the Cup Base and Cup Sides, CB and CC are the colors of the Italian Ice Flavors, and CD is the color of the embroidered mouth.
- The Cup Base and Italian Ice Flavors are crocheted in the round in unjoined spirals. Move the stitch marker in the last stitch up each round to mark position of last stitch unless otherwise noted.
- Ch 1 at start of rows or Rounds does not count as a stitch.
- Oombawka Design Crochet has a helpful magic ring tutorial here.
- A helpful tutorial for seaming with single crochet is available here.
- A helpful tutorial for seaming with the whipstitch is available here.
- A helpful video tutorial for embroidering the back stitch is available towards the end of this blog post.
Cup Base – Make 1 for Each Amigurumi
- With CA, start with magic adjustable ring (see Pattern Notes).
- Rnd 1: (RS) Ch 1, 6 sc in ring, pull yarn tail tightly to close ring, place stitch marker #1 in last st (see Pattern Notes). (6 sts)
- Rnd 2: 2 sc in each st around. (12 sts)
- Rnd 3: *2 sc in next st, sc in next st; rep from * around. (18 sts)
- Rnd 4: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around. (24 sts)
- Rnd 5: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 3 sts; rep from * around. (30 sts)
- Rnd 6: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 4 sts; rep from * around. (36 sts)
- Rnd 7: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 5 sts; rep from * around. (42 sts)
- Rnd 8: ScBL in each st around.
- Fasten off CA. With yarn needle, weave in ends.
Cup Sides – Make 1 for Each Amigurumi
- With CA, ch 21.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 20 ch. (20 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, scBL in first st and in each st across.
- Rows 3-42: Rep Row 2, 40 times.
- Fasten off CA. With yarn needle, weave in ends.
Italian Ice Flavors – Make 1 Each in CB and in CC
- With CB or CC, work as for Cup Base through Rnd 7.
- Rnd 8: (RS) *2 sc in next st, sc in next 6 sts; rep from * around. (48 sts)
- Rnd 9: *2 sc in next st, sc in next 7 sts; rep from * around. (54 sts)
- Place stitch marker #2 to mark length.
- Rnd 10: Sc in each st around.
- Rep Rnd 10 until piece measures approximately 1”/2.5 cm from stitch marker #2. Remove stitch marker #2.
- Rnd 11: *Invdec, sc in next 7 sts; rep from * around. (48 sts)
- Rnd 12: *Invdec, sc in next 6 sts; rep from * around. (42 sts)
- Rnd 13: *Sc in next st, ch 3; rep from * around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Fasten off.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.
Assembly and Finishing
- Position Cup Side to Cup Base with WS together and RS facing out. Raw edge of Cup Side on seaming should be lined up to Cup Base as shown in the second picture below.
- Join CA with sl st to side of first row of Cup Side, ch 1, work single crochet seam (see Pattern Notes) to join Cup Side to Cup Base, lining up each stitch on Cup Base with side of 1 row on Cup Side.
- Fasten off CA with long yarn tail (approximately 24”/61 cm) for seaming. Thread yarn needle with CA. Join short edges of Cup Side with whipstitch seam (see Pattern Notes). DO NOT weave in yarn tail.
- Stuff Cup with fiber filling. Repeat for second Cup.
- Position first safety eye on Italian Ice Flavor. When satisfied with position, secure by attaching washer firmly on WS. Repeat with second safety eye.
- Thread yarn needle with approximately 1 yd/1 m of CD. Embroider a smile using back stitches (see Pattern Notes). Fasten off CD and knot or weave in securely on WS of Italian Ice Flavor.
- Repeat for Second Italian Ice Flavor.
- Stuff Italian Ice Flavor firmly with fiber filling.
- Use whipstitch seam (see Pattern Notes) to join Italian Ice Flavor to Cup as follows. Line up back seam of Cup to back of Italian Ice Flavor. Thread yarn needle with CA from Cup Side. Join side of each row to sc from final round (Rnd 13) of Italian Ice Flavor, adding more fiber filling as needed.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends to inside of Cup. Repeat for second amigurumi.