I’m excited to introduce Super Santiago, a crochet super hero pattern. You can customize this crochet doll pattern by changing the yarn to adjust the skin tone and hair color, as well as the costume. I used black safety eyes, but you could use color eyes instead to make your version of Super Santiago look just like the child who is going to play with him.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. This project is sponsored by Fairfield World, but all opinions and words are my own. Additional materials for this project were generously provided by Clover USA and Lion Brand.
This is one of those patterns I’ve had in mind for quite a while but which took longer to realize than I originally planned. Back in March, Lion Brand reached out to me about their Skein Tones yarns, a group of Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti Pilling yarn colors that are representative of a variety of skin tones. I knew I wanted to make a crochet super hero doll that looked more like the boys in my family when I was growing up. I used Hazelnut for the skin and 202-129 Cocoa for the hair.
Super Santiago is a pretty simple pattern, but there are plenty of parts to join together. He starts with a Torso crocheted flat in rows, a pair of Arms, and long Legs. When finished, Super Santiago will be about 19” (48.5 cm) tall, so he’s perfect for carrying around, hugging, and pretend flying.
You’ll also crochet a Head, Hair, and Mask. The nose is crocheted as you work the Head with a puff stitch.
There’s no need to crochet ears because the Mask wraps around the Head and Hair after it’s assembled.
You’ll finish off with the Cape to tie around the neck. I made the clothing, Cape, and Mask in the same color yarn, but you could also use different colors.
Super Santiago is stuffed with Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill, which makes him very huggable. You can lightly stuff the limbs for more of a rag doll look, or over stuff to create muscles. Your choice!
Crochet Doll Pattern by Underground Crafter
This adorable super hero friend has long limbs, perfect for holding hands with a child. Customize your version by choosing yarn colors to match a child’s hair and skin tone.
- Approximately 19” (48.5 cm) tall after assembly and stuffing.
- Lion Brand Basic Stitch Anti Pilling yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 185 yd/170 m) – 1 skein each in 202-122 Hazelnut (CA), 202-405 Turquoise Heather (CB), and 202-129 Cocoa (CC), or approximately 160 yd (146.5 m) in CA, 165 yd (151 m) in CB, and 65 yd (59.5 m) in CC in any medium weight yarn.
- Clover US Size G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Fairfield Poly-Fil Premium Polyester Fiber Fill – 16 ounce bag.
- Clover Quick Locking Stitch Marker Set.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 12 mm black safety eyes – 1 pair.
- Through Rnd 11 = 4.25” (11 cm) in pattern for Hair with smaller hook. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be close together so fiber filling does not show through.
Get the free crochet pattern here on the Fairfield website.
If you make your own Super Santiago, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add Super Santiago to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.