I’m excited to kick off the seventh annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central with a pattern for a crochet mug rug. The Holiday Mug Rug is a quick and easy pattern, and it’s a great way to use up small bits of cotton yarn left over from larger projects. Change up the colors to make a festive crochet mug rug for your favorite holiday celebration, or to match decor for a housewarming gift.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Supplies for this project were generously provided by WeCrochet.
Last week, I shared the pattern for the Gift Box Soap Sack using two skeins of WeCrochet Dishie yarn. Since I had most of each skein leftover, I thought that a crochet mug rug would be the perfect pattern to kick off this year’s Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along.
Crochet mug rugs make great last-minute gifts for neighbors, teachers, family, and friends. Add in a gift card for your favorite coffee or tea place, or pair with a fun mug if you’d like to gift something extra.
You can use your stash of cotton yarn, or buy two new skeins of WeCrochet Dishie yarn. You’ll be able to get 4-6 mug rugs from each pair of skeins. I used Fiesta Red and White for Christmas and Valentine’s Day, but you can change it up. Try Blue and White for Hanukkah, Clementine and Black for Halloween, Mulberry and Jalapeño for Mardi Gras… With 30 colors to choose from, you have a lot of options.
This is the first pattern in the seventh annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central. Get all the details — including links to all 22 patterns when they go live — and enter for your chance to win one of 20 amazing prizes HERE. The patterns are forever free, but the giveaway ends on Friday, December 31, 2021 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including links to new CAL patterns, each week. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet and #HolidayStashdownCAL on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Facebook group or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 22 winter holiday gifts, decorations, or gift wrap projects!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Scroll down for the free crochet pattern for the Holiday Mug Rug!
If you make your own Holiday Mug Rug, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Holiday Mug Rug to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Holiday Mug Rug
Crochet Mug Rug Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple motif makes a cute mug rug. Change up the colors to celebrate different holidays! Use red and white for Christmas and Valentine’s Day, blue and white for Hanukkah, orange and black for Halloween…The possibilities are endless! This pattern is part of the seventh annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central.
- 6.25” (16 cm) square.
- WeCrochet Dishie yarn (100% cotton, 3.5 oz/100 g, 190 yd/174 m) – 1 skein each in 25786 Fiesta Red (CA) and 28150 White (CB), or approximately 25 yd (23 m) each in CA and CB in any medium weight, cotton or bamboo yarn.
- WeCrochet Mosaic US Size H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- 4 stitch markers (optional).
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- Finished motif = 6.25” (16 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Stitches should be small to create a stiff and dense fabric.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- *Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- () Work stitches between parentheses into same stitch or space.
- Ch 1 at beginning and sl st at end of rows does not count as a stitch.
- Carry unworked color after color change on back (wrong) side in Rnds 2-5.
- Optional: Use stitch markers in corner ch-1 sp in Rnds 6-8 to make stitches easier to identify. Move up markers each round to mark position.
- With CA, ch 4, skip 3 ch, join with sl st to next ch to form ring.
- Rnd 1: (Right Side) Ch 1, 12 dc in ring, change to CB while joining with sl st to first dc. (12 sts)
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, 2 sc in same st and in each st around, change to CA while joining with sl st to BL of first sc. (24 sts)
- Rnd 3: Ch 1, dcBL in same st, *2 dcBL in next st,** dcBL in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at ** in last st, change to CB while joining with sl st to first dc. (36 sts)
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in same st and next st, *2 sc in next st,** sc in next 2 sts; rep from * around, ending last rep at ** in last st, change to CA while joining with sl st to BL of first sc. (48 sts)
- Rnd 5: Ch 1, dcBL in same st and next 2 sts, *2 dcBL in next st,** dcBL in next 3 sts; rep from * around, ending last rep at ** in last st, change to CB while joining with sl st to first dc. Fasten off CA. (60 sts)
- Rnd 6: .Ch 1, 2 dc in same st, *dc in next 3 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, sc in next 4 sts, hdc in next 2 sts, dc in next 3 sts,** (2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) in next st; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, 2 dc in first st, sc to top of first dc (counts as ch-1 sp) to join. (18 sts on each side + 4 corner ch-1 sp)
- Rnd 7: Ch 1, sc in same ch-1 sp, *[ch 1, skip 1 st, sc in next st] across to corner ch-1 sp, ch 1,** (sc, ch 1, sc) in ch-1 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in first ch-1 sp, ch 1, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CB. (21 sts + 4 corner ch-1 sp)
- Rnd 8: Join CA with sl st to any corner ch-1 sp, 2 sc in same ch-1 sp, *ch 1, skip 1 st, [sc in next ch-1 sp, ch 1, skip 1 st] across to corner ch-1 sp,** 3 sc in corner ch-1 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, sc in first ch-1 sp, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CA.
- With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails on wrong side.