I’m excited to share the first pattern by the Underground Crafter Design Team! This rectangular shawl crochet pattern is deceptively simple to make. Using a stunning, self-striping yarn, you can make the colorwork easy.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
From time to time, I’ll be sharing patterns by guest designers who choose to remain anonymous. So, who are the Underground Crafter Design Team? Rather than sharing their work through a guest post, these indie designers would rather transfer the rights for a particular pattern over to Underground Crafter so I can share their work with you — but only if I don’t reveal their names. Think of these patterns as fun secrets!
So let me tell you about the Brambles Shawl! This is a rectangular shawl crochet pattern that is worked from side to side across the long edge. It uses a simple stitch combination that is beginner-friendly combined with a beautiful, self-striping yarn, King Cole Bramble DK. Bramble DK is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
There are some great colorways available in Bramble DK, including the spring-like 4494 Heather that the Brambles Shawl is created in. I’m planning ahead for a more wintery-project for the skein of 4487 Mixed Berries shown below.
If you make your own Brambles Shawl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter, Instragram as @ucrafter, or Twitter as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Brambles Shawl pattern to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter Design Team
This stunning rectangular shawl crochet pattern is beginner-friendly. Simple stitch combinations and a self-patterning yarn make colorwork easy!
- Adult: 68” (173 cm) wingspan x 15” (38 cm) height.
- King Cole Bramble DK yarn (100% acrylic, 3 oz/100 g, 320 yd/290 m) – 4 skeins in 4494 Heather, or approximately 1,200 yd (1,097.5 m) in any self-striping, light weight yarn.
- Bramble DK is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
- US Size I-9/5.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 20 sts x 13 rows = 4.5” (11.5 cm) in pattern. Exact gauge is not required for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- beg – beginning
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- rep – repeat
- RS – right (front) side
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- () Repeat instructions between parentheses into same stitch or space.
- This rectangular-shaped shawl is made vertically, long side to long side. A helpful video tutorial with tips for crocheting with a long foundation chain is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for tips for crocheting with a long foundation chain above, click here to watch it on Instagram.
- To change the wingspan, make a beginning chain of any multiple of 5, then add 8 chains. To change the width, add or remove repeats of Rows 2-5, finishing after a repeat of Row 4.
- Row 1 (RS): Ch 303, sk 3 ch, 3 dc in next ch, sk 3 ch, sc in next ch, *ch 2, 3 dc in next ch, sk 3 ch, sc in next ch; rep from * across.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, sc in first sc, *sc in each of next 3 dc, ch 2, sk ch-2 sp, sc in next sc; rep from * to last 3 dc, sc in each of next 3 dc, sc in top of beg ch-3.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, sc in first sc, *sk 4 sc, (3 dc, ch 2, sc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * to last 4 sc, sk 3 sc, 3 dc in last sc.
- Row 4: Turn, ch 1, sc in first dc, sc in each of next 2 dc, *sc in next sc, ch 2, sc in each of next 3 dc; rep from * to last sc, sc in last sc.
- Row 5: Turn, ch 3, 3 dc in first sc, sk 3 sc, *(sc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, sk 4 sc; rep from * to last ch-2 sp, (sc, ch 2, 3 dc) in last ch-2 sp, sk 3 sc, sc in next sc.
- Rows 6- 41: Rep Rows 2-5.
- Rows 42-44: Rep Rows 2-4.
- With yarn needle, weave ends.
1 thought on “Rectangular Shawl Crochet Pattern: Brambles Shawl”
I would love to try this pattern, love working with verigated yarns, look forward to trying your patterns…