We’ve come to the end of the final week of our fourth annual Christmas in July Make Along, which means it must be time for a roundup! Today I’m sharing 18+ free handmade gift ideas for pets. This roundup includes crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for dogs and cats including garments, accessories, bedding, toys, and more.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Photos are copyright the respective designer/publisher and are used with permission.
18+ Handmade Gift Ideas for Pets
This collection includes so many inspiring for handmade gift ideas for home. Today’s roundup includes 18+ free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns for handmade gift ideas for pets. These are perfect for gifting to your own furry friends and some projects are even ideal for donating to animal shelters.
This roundup is part of the Christmas in July Make Along, with 31 days of free crochet, knitting, and sewing patterns by 28 bloggers, along with your chance to win a prize from one of our favorite companies — Baby Lock, Best Vinyl Cutters by Jolene, DMC, Eucalan, Fox and Pine Stitches, GlassEyesOnline, Knitter’s Pride, Kraemer Yarns, Shaggy Baggy, We Like Sewing, and Woodside Quilting. Get all the Christmas in July Make Along details here and don’t forget to enter the giveaway by Thursday, August 4, 2022 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern.
Join the 2022 Christmas in July Make Along
- Sign up for the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including links to new Make Along patterns, each week. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- You can join in by crocheting, knitting, sewing, or making the projects as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CIJMakeAlong2022 on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crafters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group.
- If you need more handmade holiday inspiration, check out the weekly roundups with even more free patterns for gift ideas.
- By the end of the Make Along, you’ll have up to 31 awesome projects. Get ready for the handmade holiday season while having fun with us!
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
9 Crochet Patterns for Pets
These 9 free crochet patterns for pets include sweaters; bow ties, hats, and scarves; beds and rugs; and holiday decorations!
Left column, from top to bottom:
- Chewy’s Dog Sweater by A Crocheted Simplicity: This textured dog sweater pattern in medium weight yarn is available in 4 sizes from XS through L.
- Cuddlebug Pet Bed by Mamas2Hands: This pattern includes instructions for customizing the size of the pet bed and can be made with scrap yarn.
- Biscuit Pet Rug by KT and the Squid: This easy peasy pattern works up quickly in super bulky yarn.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Hugo Bow Tie by Sunflower Cottage Crochet: This simple pattern was designed to help rescue dogs, but it makes a great photo prop or event attire for any pup.
- Maisy’s Holiday Dog Scarf by Yarn + Chai: This decorative scarf pattern includes 3 sizes for small, medium, and large breeds.
- Cat Santa Hat by Nicki’s Homemade Crafts: This pattern includes ties for securing the hat on your cat.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Tyson’s Doggy Bone Stocking by See Love Share: This bone-shaped holiday stocking is perfect for doggy gifts.
- Doggie Bomber Hat by Celtic Knot Crochet: This pattern is designed for small dogs.
- Pawsitively Cozy Cat Bed by The Loopy Lamb: This stuffed pet bed is crocheted with faux fur yarn so it is extra fluffy.
5 Knitting Patterns for Pets
These 5 free knitting patterns for pets include a sweater, a bandana, a bow tie, a blanket, and a toy.
Shown from left to right:
- Boho Pet Bandana via Knit Picks: This bandana pattern is sized to fit a small/medium dog breed.
- Vibrant Leopard Dog Sweater via Lion Brand: This pattern uses Fair Isle colorwork for the leopard print and is available in 3 sizes from small through large.
- Comfort Pet Blanket via Knit Picks: This textured blanket pattern in 3 sizes can be donated to an animal shelter or gifted to your favorite pet.
- Prospect Park Pretzel Cat Toy via Lion Brand: This simple toy is knit in a tube and then assembled.
- Fancy Puppers Tie via Knit Picks: This fun bow tie pattern is available in 3 sizes from small to large to fit most cats and dogs.
4 Sewing Patterns for Pets
These 4 free sewing patterns for pets include beds, a bandana, and a toy.
Shown clockwise from top left:
- Dog Bed with Sides by Swoodson Says: This simple pattern includes detailed progress photos.
- DIY Water Bottle Toy by Heather Handmade: This bone-shaped pattern is made with upcycled jeans. You can insert and replace an empty water bottle easily so your dog enjoys the crunching sound. Includes a video tutorial.
- Cat Bed by Swoodson Says: This easy pattern for a square bed with a circular opening includes detailed progress photos.
- Dog Bandana by Heather Handmade: This simple pattern includes a video tutorial.