If you’re looking for an easy crochet cowl pattern for autumn, you’ve come to the right place! The Adventurous (Hooded) Cowl pattern is available in three versions for teens and adults, including a standard cowl, a hooded cowl, and an infinity scarf. Each version works up quickly with a simple stitch pattern and a bulky weight yarn.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
When I first saw a skein of King Cole Safari Chunky yarn a few months ago, I was curious about how it would look crocheted. I decided to take the plunge by designing an easy crochet cowl pattern. Cowls are relatively quick to make, and simple stitch patterns work great with complex and interesting yarns like this one!
King Cole Safari Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK. This is a really fun self-striping yarn. The yarn is marled, so up close it has a tweedy look but from afar the colors look more muted. I used 5004 Serengeti for this pattern, but all the colorways include “animalistic stripes” — black streaks that are like zebra or tiger stripes.
I really love how this easy cowl pattern turned out! But, I also know crocheted cowls can be controversial. Some people love cowls while others prefer infinity scarves or hooded cowls. So, I included three different variations in the pattern so you can make the cowl that you love! (The cowl in the picture below is the “standard” cowl.)
I’m excited to be joining Pam from Carroway Crochet and Susanna from Fosbas Designs for the All About Fall Blog Hop and Crochet Pattern Bundle.
There are two ways you can participate:
- Visit this Blog Hop roundup on Carroway Crochet daily through August 15, 2022 or this roundup on Fosbas Designs daily through August 30, 2022 for the coupon code to download that day’s pattern PDF. Each coupon code is available through the following day at 1 pm GMT.
Buy the All About Fall Crochet Pattern Bundle including all 30 patterns from the Blog Hop through September 7, 2022.
If you make your own Adventurous (Hooded) Cowl pattern, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter or on Instragram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Adventurous (Hooded) Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Adventurous (Hooded Cowl)
Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern by Underground Crafter
A fun, self-patterning yarn and a simple stitch pattern combine to make an easy crochet cowl. This pattern is available in three sizes, each of which uses just two skeins of yarn. Pick your favorite version: a cowl, a hooded cowl, or an infinity scarf. This pattern is part of the All About Fall Blog Hop with Carroway Crochet and Fosbas Designs.
- Teen/Adult: Cowl (Hooded Cowl, Infinity Scarf). Photographed sample is size Cowl.
- Cowl: 32.5” (82.5 cm) circumference x 10” (25.5 cm) height.
- Hooded Cowl: 26” (66 cm) circumference x 16” (40.5 cm) height.
- Infinity Scarf: 56” (142 cm) circumference x 5” (13 cm) height.
- King Cole Safari Chunky yarn (100% acrylic, 5.3 oz/150 g, 311 yd/285 m) – 2 skeins in 5004 Serengeti, or approximately 375 yd (488 yd, 340 yd)/343 m (446 m, 311 m) in any bulky weight yarn.
- US Size K-10.5/6.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 12 stitches in pattern = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- sc – single crochet
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Ch 1 at start of Rows does not count as a stitch.
- This pattern uses the lemon peel stitch, also known as the pebble stitch or the crinkled stitch. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch pattern is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for the lemon peel stitch above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
Cowl (Hooded Cowl, Infinity Scarf)
- Ch 99 (79, 169), or any odd number of stitches (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above with tips for crocheting with a long foundation chain, click HERE to watch it on Instagram.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 98 (78, 168) ch. – 98 (78, 168) stitches
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, starting in first stitch [sc in next stitch, dc in next stitch] across.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, starting in first stitch [sc in next dc, dc in next sc] across.
- Repeat Row 3 until cowl measures approximately 9.75” (15.75”, 4.75”)/25 cm (40 cm, 12 cm), or approximately 0.25” (0.7 cm) shorter than desired height.
- Next Row: Turn, ch 1, sc in first stitch and in each stitch across.
- Fasten off with long yarn tail, approximately twice the height of the cowl, for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail. Seam short edges together with mattress stitch (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for seaming with the mattress stitch above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends.