I’m so excited to kick off the eighth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central with this one-skein crochet cowl pattern! The Straight and Narrow Cowl is simple to make and it’s the perfect gift for any gender. It works up quickly in an afternoon so it can be a great last-minute gift or even an accessory for you!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration. Additional supplies for this post were generously provided by Clover.
I’ve mentioned a few times that one of my favorite things about being a King Cole Brand Ambassador is getting to try out new yarns before they are released. It’s also kind of the worst thing about it, because I have to keep a lot of yarn-y secrets! A few months ago, one such secret arrived in my mail box: King Cole Wildwood Chunky yarn. This yarn is made from 100% recycled wool, so it’s a great option for an eco-friendly gift. It has really great stitch definition, too! Wildwood Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at Wool Warehouse UK.
I loved the feel of the yarn and I wanted to use it to make a quick, afternoon project that could be a great gift. One that was gender-neutral so I could gift it to any one of lots of folks on my handmade holiday gift list. That’s when the idea for the Straight and Narrow Cowl was born. I was hoping that it would turn out to be a one-skein pattern (because what’s not to love about fast, gender-neutral, AND one-skein??!!)… and it did!
Scroll down to get the free pattern for the Straight and Narrow Cowl. This is the first pattern in the eighth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet. You can get all the details, including links to all 22 included patterns, and enter the giveaway to win one of 11 great prizes in this blog post. To join the Holiday Stashdown CAL:
- Sign up for Crochet Along updates and the Underground Crafter newsletter to get regular updates, including links to new CAL patterns as they are released. When you sign up, you’ll also get access to my subscriber vault which includes exclusive free PDF patterns, a coupon code for your choice of any crochet or knitting pattern or ebook from my Ravelry shop, and coupon codes from other indie designers and crafts businesses.
- You can join in by crocheting the patterns as you have time.
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #CALCentralCrochet and #HolidayStashdownCAL on all social media.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the CAL Central Crochet Facebook group, or visit this thread in the CAL Central Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have up to 22 gifts, decorations, or gift wrap projects for the winter holidays.
- Use this button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
If you make your own Straight and Narrow Cowl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Straight and Narrow Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Straight and Narrow Cowl
Crochet Cowl Pattern by Underground Crafter
This simple, one-skein crochet cowl pattern is a perfect last-minute gift or gender-neutral accessory for the cold. A wool yarn provides great stitch definition.This pattern is part of the eighth annual Holiday Stashdown Crochet Along with CAL Central Crochet.
- Teen/Adult: 26” (66 cm) circumference x 6” (15 cm) height.
- King Cole Wildwood Chunky yarn (100% recycled wool, 3.5 oz/100 g, 207 yd/190 m) – 1 skein in 5025 Heather, or approximately 207 yd (190 m) in any bulky weight yarn.
- Wildwood Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
- Clover Amour US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 15 sts = 4” (10 cm) in pattern for Rounds 1-6. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BPsc – back post single crochet – Insert hook from back around front to back of st in previous row, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. Happily Hooked has a helpful video tutorial for this stitch here.
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- FPsc – front post single crochet – Insert hook from front around back to front of st in previous row, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops. A helpful video tutorial for this stitch is available below.
- If you can’t see the video tutorial for the FPsc above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sl st – slip stitch
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
-  Repeat instructions between brackets as indicated.
- Ch 1 at start of rows or rounds and sl st at end of rounds do not count as stitches.
- Ch 97, or any odd number of sts.
- Set Up Row: (Right Side) Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next 96 ch. (96 sts)
- Being careful not to twist, join with sl st to first sc. Begin working in the round.
- Rnd 1: Ch 3 (counts as first dc), dc in next st and in each st around, join with sl st to top of first ch-3.
- Rnd 2: Ch 1, sc in first st, FPsc around next st in previous round, [BPsc around next st in previous round, FPsc around next st in previous round] around, join with sl st to top of first sc.
- Rnd 3: Rep Rnd 1.
- Rnd 4: Ch 1, sc in first st, BPsc around next st in previous round, [FPsc around next st in previous round, BPsc around next st in previous round] around, join with sl st to top of first sc.
- Rnd 5: Rep Rnd 1.
- Rnd 6: Rep Rnd 2.
- At this point, your cowl should measure approximately 2” (5 cm) in height.
- Rnd 7: Rep Rnd 1.
- Rnd 8: Ch 1, sc in first st and in each st around, join with sl st to first sc.
- Rep Rnds 7-8 until cowl measures approximately 4” (10 cm) in height, or approximately 2” (5 cm) shorter than desired height.
- Rnds 9-14: Rep Rnds 1-6.
- Rnd 15: Rep Rnd 8.
- Fasten off. With yarn needle, weave in yarn tails on inside (wrong side) of cowl.