I’m sharing the easy crochet cowl pattern for the Color Burst Cowl today as part of the Gifts Galore Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle! The pattern is forever free on my blog
, but this amazing pattern bundle is only available through December 7, 2022, so read on for details!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
I enjoy making handmade gifts for my loved ones, and if you’re like me and most crocheters, you probably do, too. If you’re looking for handmade holiday inspiration, you’ll love the Gifts Galore Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle. Inside the Gifts Galore Pattern Bundle, you’ll find 30 wonderful crochet patterns by your favorite designers for gift ideas that you’ll love to make.
The Gifts Galore Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle is organized by Pam from Carroway Crochet. I knew that my featured date would be closer to the holidays, so I decided to design a quick and easy crochet cowl pattern.
I like colorful projects but I hate weaving in ends when I’m crocheting a last-minute gift. When I came across King Cole Riot Chunky yarn, a bulky weight, self-striping yarn in beautiful colors, I immediately got an idea for putting together a lot of colors without too many ends to weave in. Riot Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
My contribution to the Gifts Galore Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle is the Color Burst Cowl. This project is beginner friendly, and for the more advanced crocheter it’s the type of “mindless” project that you can work on while waiting for an appointment, watching streaming shows, or even hanging out with family and friends.
There are two ways to participate in the Gifts Galore Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle.
- Visit the Gifts Galore Blog Hop page daily through November 30, 2022 to find out about the daily pattern and get the coupon code for a free download. Coupon codes are valid until 12:01 am Eastern on the following day.
Buy the Gifts Galore Pattern Bundle with all 30 included patterns through 11:59 pm Eastern on Wednesday, December 7, 2022.
If you make your own Color Burst Cowl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Color Burst Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Color Burst Cowl
Easy Crochet Cowl Pattern by Underground Crafter
This easy crochet cowl pattern makes colorwork simple. Using just one stitch and self-striping yarns, you can create a stunning cowl with many colors without complex colorwork.
- Teen/Adult Small (Adult Large). Photographed sample is Teen/Adult Small.
- Teen/Adult Small: 46” (117 cm) circumference x 4.5” (11.5 cm) height after seaming.
- Adult Large: 52” (132 cm) circumference x 6 (15 cm) height after seaming.
- King Cole Riot Chunky yarn (30% wool/70% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 147 yd/134 m) – 1 (2) skeins each in 3437 Juniper Berry (CA) and 651 Domino (CB), or approximately 147 yd (220 yd)/134 m (201 m) in each of 2 colors in any self-striping, bulky weight, wool/acrylic blend yarn.
- Riot Chunky is available from your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK.
- US Size K-10.5/6.5 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 14 sc = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only – Edie Eckman has a helpful video tutorial for identifying the back loop here.
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- ch – chain
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- Ch 1 at start of rows does not count as a stitch.
Cowl Piece 1
- With CA, ch 81 (92), or any number of sts.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next ch and in each ch across. – 80 (91) sts
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, scBL in first st and in each st across.
- For Teen/Adult Small: Rows 3-19: Repeat Row 2, 17 more times.
- For Adult Large: Rows 3-26: Repeat Row 2, 24 more times.
- Fasten off CA with long yarn tail (approximately 12”/30.5 cm) for seaming.
Cowl Piece 2
- With CB, repeat as for Cowl Piece 1.
- Designate one side of each piece as the Right (Front) Side.
- If you want seams to be visible, position Cowl Piece 1 and 2 with Wrong Sides together and work seam on the Right Side. If you want seams to be invisible, position Cowl Piece 1 and 2 with Right Sides together and work seam on the Wrong Side. Note that in photo above, seam is visible at top on the Wrong Side (inside) of Cowl.
- Make sure Cowl Piece 1 and 2 are positioned so that bottom rows are aligned and final rows are aligned.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail in CA. Working along first short edge, seam Cowl Piece 1 and 2 together along first short edge using mattress stitch (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail in CB. Working along second short edge, seam Cowl Piece 1 and 2 together along second short edge using mattress stitch.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on Wrong Side of Cowl.