I’m sharing the super bulky crochet cowl pattern for the Dylan Cowl today as part of the Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle! The pattern is forever free on my blog
, but this amazing pattern bundle is only available through December 24, 2022, so read on for details!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. I am a King Cole Brand Ambassador and this post is part of our ongoing collaboration.
It’s that time of year that I love to call “crochet season.” It’s getting colder and we all love to cozy up inside of or underneath our crochet makes! If you love to make cozy projects for yourself, to donate, to gift, or to sell at craft fairs, you’ll love the Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle. Inside the Warm My Heart Pattern Bundle, you’ll find 30 wonderful crochet patterns by your favorite designers for projects to keep you and your loved ones warm!
The Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle is organized by Susanna from Fosbas Designs and Katarina from Crochet with Frankie Kate. Cowls are one of my favorite last-minute gift ideas and quick, winter projects to make, so I thought a super bulky crochet cowl pattern would be perfect for the Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle since its great for gifting or wearing right away!
King Cole Big Value Super Chunky Tints yarn is a super bulky weight, soft acrylic yarn in great variegated colorways. It’s just right for making something cozy and quick! Big Value Super Chunky Tints is available from your local yarn shop.
My contribution to the Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle is the Dylan Cowl. This is the type of “mindless” project that I love to work on while watching streaming shows, commuting, or even hanging out with family and friends during the holidays. It works up super fast in the super bulky yarn so it’s ideal for the TRULY last-minute gift or even if you forgot your scarf while you’re traveling for the holidays.
There are three ways to participate in the Warm My Heart Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle.
- Visit the Part 1 of the Warm My Heart Blog Hop page on Crochet with Frankie Kate daily through December 10, 2022 and Part 2 of the Warm My Heart Blog Hop page on Fosbas Designs daily from December 11 to December 20, 2022 to find out about the daily pattern and get the coupon code for a free download. Coupon codes are valid until 1 pm London time on the following day.
Buy the Warm My Heart Pattern Bundle with all 30 included patterns through 11:59 pm London time on Saturday, December 24, 2022.
If you make your own Dylan Cowl, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter on on Instagram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and private access to my vault of subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Dylan Cowl to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Super Bulky Crochet Cowl Pattern by Underground Crafter
This super bulky crochet cowl pattern makes a great last-minute gift for any adult on your handmade holiday list. It’s gender-neutral and finishes fast in super bulky yarn.
- Teen/Adult: 24.5” (62 cm) circumference x 7.75” (19.5 cm) height after seaming.
- King Cole Big Value Super Chunky Tints yarn (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 88 yd/81 m) – 2 skeins in 2062 Evergreen, or approximately 176 yd (162 m) in any super bulky weight yarn
- Big Value Super Chunky Tints is available from your local yarn shop.
- US Size N-15/10 mm crochet hook, or size needed to obtain gauge.
- Clover bent-tip yarn needle.
- 9.5 sts in pattern for Row 3 = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- () Work stitches between parentheses into same stitch or space.
- * Repeat instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Ch 1 at start of rows does not count as a stitch.
- Ch 59, or any multiple of 3 ch, + 2 ch.
- Row 1: Turn, skip 1 ch, sc in next ch and in each ch across. (58 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc) in first st, skip 2 sts, *(sc, hdc, dc) in next st, skip 2 sts; rep from * across to last st, sc in next st.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 1, (sc, hdc, dc) in first sc, skip (hdc + dc), *(sc, hdc, dc) in next sc, skip (hdc + dc); rep from * across to last st, sc in next sc.
- Rep Row 3 until cowl measures approximately 7.75” (19.5 cm) height, or desired length, or until you run out of yarn. I ended my cowl here, but if you love symmetry, your optional Row 4 would be: Turn, ch 1, sc in first st and in each st across.
- Fasten off with a long yarn tail (approximately 18”/45.5 cm) for seaming.
- Thread yarn needle with long yarn tail. Fold cowl with short/raw edges together. Working along short/raw edge, seam cowl together using mattress stitch (see video below).
- If you can’t see the video tutorial above for seaming with the mattress stitch, click HERE to watch it on YouTube.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends on Wrong Side of Cowl.