Welcome to Week 2 of the Mélange Blanket mystery crochet along with Underground Crafter! This week’s square is the Yesteryear Rose by Linda Dean Crochet.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. Materials for this project were generously provided by King Cole and Denise Interchangeables.
Join the Mélange Blanket Mystery Crochet Along!
- Learn more about the CAL (and enter the giveaway for your chance to win a one of five great prizes from babé crochet co., Denise Interchangeables, GlassEyesOnline, King Cole, and Knitter’s Relief Balm by 11:59 p.m. Eastern on December 22, 2023) in this blog post.
- You can join in by crocheting along with each square of this blanket as you have time.
- Sign up for my newsletter here so you never miss a clue!
- Share your progress and post pictures of your finished projects. Tag your projects and posts #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal on all social media. You can also tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures.
- If you’d like to chat with other crocheters, join the Underground Crafters Facebook group or follow Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.
- By the end of the CAL, you’ll have 48 beautiful squares you can put together into a beautiful blanket.
- Use the button below on your Ravelry project pages or elsewhere on social media. Right click (on desktop) or tap and hold (on mobile) to save.
Mélange Blanket Square 2: Yesteryear Rose
You can see Linda’s version below. She used three colors in King Cole Fashion Aran yarn.
As I mentioned in the Mélange Blanket CAL kick off post, I am using King Cole Big Value Aran (available through your local yarn shop or online at LoveCrafts or Wool Warehouse UK) and my Denise US Size J-10/6 mm crochet hook for my blanket. This makes it easier to keep consistent gauge across all my squares.
For my version of the Yesteryear Rose, I used Berry as Color A, Nougat as Color B, and Ocean for Color C. My square was not 6″ (15 cm) after Round 7, so I added another Round in Ocean. To keep the stitch count the same, I worked 1 single crochet into each single crochet in Round 7, and worked 2 chains over (but no additional stitches into) each chain-2 corner space. After this extra Round and once I wet blocked the square, the size was perfect. (If you’re new to blocking, check out Blocking Basics for Crocheters and Knitters.)
This pattern is the type where you need to focus on stitch placement (not a “mindless” crochet project!). Linda has helpful photos throughout the pattern so you can see exactly where to insert your hook. There are also four special stitches in this pattern.
- You can find my video tutorial for the back post double crochet here.
- The Dc3Cluster is just like a 3-repeat bobble. You can find my video tutorial for a 3-repeat bobble here.
- Linda has helpful photos in the pattern showing the placement for the TrLeaf.
- And, if you are new to back loop crochet, Fiber Flux has a helpful video tutorial here.
Head over to Linda Dean Crochet and get the free pattern for the Yesteryear Rose here. Don’t forget to share your version online using #undergroundcrafter and #melangeblanketcal as hashtags.Tag me as Underground Crafter on Facebook, or as @ucrafter on Instagram when you’re sharing project pictures, or share your pictures in the Underground Crafters Facebook group or in the Mélange Blanket CAL thread the Underground Crafter Ravelry group.