It’s hard to believe, but it’s almost fall! To get ready for the colder weather, I’m sharing a roundup of 24 free knitting patterns for pom pom hats. These include slouchy hats, beanies, and stocking caps. Each one is embellished with a pom pom.
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. All photos are © the respective designers and publishers and are used with permission.
Regular readers know that I struggled with pom poms for years, but now one of my favorite tools is my Clover Pom Pom Maker. If you struggle with pom poms, too, check out these Tips and Tricks for Making Pompoms and Tassels by Fiat Fiber Arts. Or, just buy a faux fur pom pom (available from Lion Brand or Amazon). These hat patterns include a mix of yarn pom poms and faux fur options.
24 Free Knitting Patterns for Pom Pom Hats
Roundup by Underground Crafter
- Slouchy Diamond Cap by Melody’s Makings: This textured, slouchy unisex beanie is available in 8 sizes from newborn through adult. A free crochet version is also available from the same page.
- Bird Tracks Beanie by Underground Crafter: This textured beanie with a traveling stitch pattern is available in 4 sizes from preemie through adult. The pattern includes instructions for knitting seamlessly in the round or knitting flat and seaming.
- Winter Sea Stocking Cap by Hands Occupied: This pattern uses the daisy stitch and a video tutorial for the stitch is available here.
- The Elisabeth Hat by The Twisted Yarn: This adult-sized, stranded colorwork hat is available as a free PDF download.
Second column, from top to bottom:
- Rainbow Maze Hat by Balls to the Walls Knits: This slip stitch hat is available in six sizes from 12 months through adult large.
- Garter Rib Beanie by Underground Crafter: This dude-approved unisex hat is available in eight sizes from newborn through adult large.
- New Orleans Hat by Lilia Craft Party: This simple, beginner-friendly hat pattern has two pom poms.
- Brilliant Ombre by Caitlin ffrench: This simple hat is designed to use up one skein of ombre yarn.
- Snowboarder Chunky Hat by Marly Bird: This pattern includes two video tutorials. A crochet version of this pattern is available here.
Center column, from top to bottom:
- Peace Hat by Two of Wands: This hat uses duplicate stitch and embroidery to create a peace hand gesture is part of Lion Brand’s #HatNotHate campaign against bullying.
- Chunky Winter Hat by Posh Pooch Designs: This simple hat is a one-skein project in Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick.
- Givin’ Me Fever Pom Pom Hat by Underground Crafter for Kollabora: This slouchy hat is made by holding two strands of light weight yarn together throughout to create a tweedy look.
- Baby Blue Cloud Hat by Designs by KN: This cute hat with puffy “clouds” fits a 6-12 month old.
- Slouchy Hat by Rosemary Drysdale: This slouchy is textured with seed stitches.
Fourth column, from top to bottom:
- Puzzled Hat by Goddess Crochet: This slouchy, stockinette hat with a ribbed brim coordinates with the free knitting pattern for the Puzzled Cowl. Both use a self-striping yarn to make colorwork easy.
- Rock Candy by Fiber Flux: This adorable, striped hat is available in five infant, toddler, and child sizes.
- Rainbow Skies Hat by Little Red Window: This striped hat pattern fits a 6 month old size.
- Change Your Stripes Hat by Patons: These simple, garter stitch striped slouchy hats are great beginner or “mindless knitting” projects.
- Purple Haze Hat by Kristina Kittelson: This cabled hat is a one-skein project.
Right column, from top to bottom:
- Fisherman’s Rib Slouchy Beanie by Expression Fiber Arts: This casual-cool beanie is made with two strands of yarn held together throughout.
- Candy Shop Hat by Kristina Kittelson: This retro-inspired hat is made using the brick stitch.
- Classic Variegated Hat by Edie Eckman: This timeless pattern for a slouchy hat is a great unisex project.
- Create Some Charm Hat by Michele Maks: This simple pattern is knit flat and then seamed.
- Snow Day Slouch by Stitches n Scraps: This pattern features helpful photos to walk you through the different stitches.