I decided to make her a baby blanket using some stash yarn. I started with the motif from Frankie Brown‘s Jelly Mould Blanket and some leftover Red Heart Super Saver in Candy Print, but I ran out of yarn after 14 squares. The stiffness of the yarn was the perfect pairing with this pattern.
This post contains affiliate links.
Since I didn’t have another complementary color in my stash, I thought it would be the perfect time to use my 20% off coupon to the Lion Brand Yarn Studio. Once at the shop, I decided I wanted to go in a new direction, and instead of choosing more pink, I picked up three skeins of Vanna’s Choice in greens. (I was feeling a bit spring-like at the time.) Vanna’s Choice is much softer than the Red Heart, so it wasn’t as suited for the 3D shape of the Jelly Mould motif.
At around the same time, Barbara from Made in K-Town released her African Flower Square Tutorial, and I decided to make 14 African Flower squares. I had to make some adjustments, of course, to get the motifs to be the same size.
I used a stash skein of Caron One Pound in white for all the borders, and joined each of the motifs in rows of 7.
I had a bit of a tough time taking pictures (thank you Central Park, for serving as a backdrop!), but I really like how the blanket came out. It’s about 32 inches square, and I used about 990 yards of yarn (including about 530 yards of stash yarn!).
The whole project was much more improvised than my baby blankets usually are. I guess you could say that the motifs came about organically. And I used different techniques for joining the squares together to form rows, which helped to even out the slight differences in sizes. I also used two different methods for joining the rows together (the green join is a very decorative v-stitch join, and the white join is a chain join). These joins were inspired by ones I found in Robyn Chachula‘s Crochet Stitches VISUAL Encyclopedia.
I think this means that my next blanket may be a bit more spontaneous!
For more finished objects, visit Tami’s Amis.