I’m releasing a new free crochet pattern every week through December. Each one can be made with 3 skeins of yarn or less, and would make a great gift (for someone else, or as a reward to yourself for all of your holiday crafting!).
This post contains affiliate links.
One of my best friends loves stretchy, jersey-style infinity cowls. This year, I decided to make her a crochet version as a holiday gift.
Back in November, I took a trip to Saratoga Springs for work, and I had a chance to visit Common Thread and pick up a skein of Holiday Yarns FlockSock Sock Yarn in Wolverine. This color is a blueish gray that is perfect for my friend’s mostly neutral color palette.
Using a much larger than recommended sized hook and crocheting into the back loop only creates a gently textured and super stretchy fabric.
The finished circle scarf is long enough to wrap around twice. It’s very lightweight and breathable, too.
Faux Fabric Circle Scarf
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 7” (18 cm) wide x 49” (124.5 cm) long (unblocked).
- Holiday Yarns FlockSock Sock Yarn (75% Merino wool/25% Nylon, 3.5 oz/100 g, 400 yd/366 m) – 1 skein in Wolverine, or approximately 400 yd (366 m) in any super fine weight yarn.
- US G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 21 sts x 10 rows in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- hdc – half double crochet
- rep – repeat
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Ch 40.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 2, (counts as first hdc, here and throughout), *dc in next ch, hdc in next ch; rep from * across. (39 sts)
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc here and throughout), *hdcBL in next st, dcBL in next st; rep from * across.
- Row 3: Turn, ch 2, *dcBL in next st, hdcBL in next st; rep from * across.
- Rep Rows 2-3 60 times (or until scarf measures approximately 49” (124.5 cm) long. Do not fasten off.
- Fold short ends together and match up sts on each side. Seam together short edges with sl st through ea side. Fasten off. Turn right side out (so seam is inside).
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.