Welcome to my themed blog series, Crochet Specialty of the Month! Each month in 2015, I’ll feature a specialized crochet technique, stitch pattern, or project type through several posts.
This post contains affiliate links.
Back in November, I talked about the yarn my family brought me back from their trip to New Zealand.
I loved the contrast in colors, and when I began this series, I knew this yarn would be the perfect fit for a design using the intermeshing crochet technique.
I also knew I wanted to create a circle scarf with that was completely reversible and combined the multi-color appearance of intermeshing crochet with solid blocks of color.
Rather than fumble through an intermeshing crochet pattern in one color, I decided to make a sampler, using two other reversible stitch patterns.
I combined a basketweave pattern made with front and back post stitches along with a shell stitch using puff stitches to add a little texture.
I hope you enjoy the pattern! I gave the sample to a dear friend, and she loved it!
If you’re new to intermeshing crochet, you can check out my roundup of free beginner tutorials here.
Triptych Sampler Infinity Cowl
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 4” (10 cm) wide x 84” (213 cm) long (blocked).
- Countrywide Yarn Opals (100% acrylic, 1.75 oz/50 g, 145 yd/133 m) – 2 skeins ea in 15 (CA) and 49 (CB), or approximately 280 yd (256 m) in each of 2 contrasting colors in any light weight yarn.
- US G-6/4 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 21 sts x 8 rows (1A & 1B) in intermeshing pattern = 4” (10 cm) across. Exact gauge is not critical for this pattern.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern (✪ see Special Stitch Patterns, below)
- BPdc – back post double crochet – Yo, insert hook from back around front to back of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice. (A video tutorial for this stitch is available here.)
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- dc/b – double crochet in back of ch-1 sp of alternate color piece
- dc/f – double crochet in front of ch-1 sp of alternate color piece
- ea – each
- FPdc – front post double crochet – Yo, insert hook from front around back to front of st in previous round, yo and draw up a loop, (yo and draw through 2 loops) twice. (A video tutorial for this stitch is available here.)
- hdc – half double crochet
- hdc2tog – half double crochet 2 sts together (decrease) – (Yo, insert hook in next st, yo and draw up a loop) twice, yo and draw through all 4 loops on hook.
- pf – puff st – (Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop) 3 times in same st, yo and draw through all 7 loops on hook.
- rep – repeat
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip st
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- This infinity cowl/circle scarf is crocheted flat in two panels which are then joined. Each panel includes 3 different techniques/stitch patterns using 2 colors of yarn.
- With CA, ch 24.
- Foundation Row: Turn, sk 5 sts (counts as dc + ch-1 sp), dc in next st, *ch 1, sk 1 ch, dc in next st; rep from * across. Set aside. (21 sts)
- With CB, ch 22. Rep Foundation Row. (19 sts)
- Place CA piece in front of CB piece.
- Turn so working yarn is on right (if right-handed, or left, if left-handed). Drop CB yarn to front of project.
- Row 1A: With CA, ch 4 (counts as dc + ch-1 sp, here and throughout), dc/b in next st; *ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, dc/b in next st; rep from * across, drop CA and do not turn.
- Row 1B: With CB, ch 4, dc/f in next st, *ch 1, sk ch-1 sp, dc/f in next st; rep from * across.
- Rep Rows 1A & 1B until intermeshing crochet piece measures approximately 13” (33 cm). Rep Row 1A, fasten off CB.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 2 (counts as hdc here and throughout), *hdc through next st of both layers (CA ch-1 sp and CB dc), hdc through next st of both layers (CA dc and CB ch-1 sp); rep from * across to last st, hdc in last CA st. (21 sts)
- Row 3: Turn, ch 2, hdc in next st and ea st across.
Post Stitch Basketweave
- Row 1: Turn, ch 3 (counts as dc, here and throughout), FPdc around next 2 sts from prior row, *BPdc around next 3 sts from prior row, FPdc around next 3 sts from prior row; rep from * across.
- Row 2: Turn, ch 3, BPdc around next 2 sts from prior row, *FPdc around next 3 sts from prior row, BPdc around next 3 sts from prior row; rep from * across.
- Rows 3-4: Rep Rows 1-2.
- Row 5: Rep Row 2.
- Row 6: Rep Row 1.
- Rows 7-8: Rep Rows 5-6.
- Rep Rows 1-8 until basketweave piece measures approximately 13” (33 cm), ending after Row 4 or Row 8.
- Row 9: Turn, ch 2, hdc2tog, hdc in next st and ea st across to last 3 sts, hdc2tog, hdc, changing to CB with last yo of final hdc. Fasten off CA. (19 sts)
Alternating Puff Stitch Shells
- Row 1: Turn, ch 4, pf in same st, sk 2 sts, *(dc, ch 1, pf) in next st, sk 2 sts; rep from * across to last st, dc in last st.
- Rep Row 1 until alternating puff stitch shells piece measures approximately 14” (35.5 cm). Fasten off CB.
- With CA, join with sl st to unworked edge of Foundation Row A. Rep Row 2 of intermeshing crochet pattern to join pieces.
- Repeat entire panel (intermeshing crochet, post stitch basketweave, and alternating puff stitch shells) alternating colors (reversing CA and CB).
Assembly and Finishing
- Align short edge of alternating puff stitch shells from first panel to short edge of intermeshing crochet from second panel. Join with sl st across short edge. Repeat for other edge, being certain not to twist cowl before final join. With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.