I’m so excited to share this pattern with you today! I originally designed this corner-to-corner baby blanket for the FaveCrafts Blog, and they titled the post “The Stunningly Beautiful Crochet Baby Blanket You Need In Your LIfe.” I think it came out great, and I’d love to hear what you think!
This post contains affiliate links. I may receive compensation (at no added cost to you) if you make a purchase using these links. The yarn for the sample was generously provided by Lion Brand. This pattern was updated on May 3, 2023 to include a video tutorial. Let me know if you have any questions!
This pattern is crocheted from corner to corner, increasing to the midpoint and then decreasing to the end. The design creates a square blanket, but the size is adjustable.
I crocheted my version using a rainbow of Vanna’s Choice Baby colors. This yarn has since been discontinued, but you can find a rainbow of colors still available in Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice yarn.
I used this same color combination, with the addition of Angel White, in my sample for the Scrappy Shells Blanket pattern, which originally appeared in the February, 2015 issue of I Like Crochet.
But, in spite of its name, you don’t have to crochet the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket pattern in rainbow colors. It also makes a great stash buster project! You can change colors at the end of any row. If you do choose to make a scrap yarn version, remember that rows towards the middle use the largest amounts of yarn, so use your small yarn odds and ends at the beginning and end of the project.
Scroll down for the free crochet pattern for the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket. This pattern is the featured pattern for Day 4 of the C2C Creations Blog Hop and Pattern Bundle. There are three ways to participate in the C2C Creations Blog Hop and Crochet Pattern Bundle.
- You can buy the C2C Creations Crochet Pattern Bundle, which includes all 15 patterns at an amazing discount through May 16, 2023. If you use my affiliate link to make your purchase, I’ll send you your choice of 2 additional patterns or ebooks from my Ravelry shop for free! Details on how to claim this extra bonus will be emailed to you when you buy th
eC2C Creations Crochet Pattern Bundle, or you can email me at marie AT undergroundcrafter DOT com with your receipt and a list of patterns or ebooks you’d like to receive.
- Visit the C2C Creations Blog Hop roundup post on Juniper and Oakes to get links to all of the patterns included in the Blog Hop, and the coupon code to download the PDF version for free through May 16, 2023.
- Visit each designer’s post through May 16, 2023 to grab the free PDF pattern. You can grab the ad-free PDF for the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket for free through 8am Eastern on May 5, 2023. Get the coupon code in the C2C Creations Blog Hop roundup post on Juniper and Oakes, or click on the button below to add the pattern with coupon code to your cart on Ravelry. Be sure to review your cart before checking out to make sure it is set to $0, as there will be no refunds for accidental purchases.
If you make your own Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket, I’d love to see it! Share your progress and questions by tagging me on Facebook as @Underground Crafter or on Instragram as @ucrafter. You can also share a picture in the Underground Crafters Facebook group. Sign up for my weekly newsletter and get a coupon code for your choice of one of my premium patterns and other subscriber goodies. Plus, you’ll never miss one of my free patterns again!
Add the Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket to your favorites or queue, or buy the ad-free PDF on Ravelry.
Diagonal Rainbows Baby Blanket
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
This corner-to-corner crochet baby blanket pattern looks great in planned colors or as a scrap blanket.
- 32.5” (82.5 cm) square.
- Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice Baby (100% acrylic, 3.5 oz/100 g, 170 yd/156 m)
- 114 Cheery Cherry (CA), 1 skein
- 132 Goldfish (CB), 1 skein
- 157 Duckie (CC), 2 skeins
- 169 Sweet Pea (CD), 2 skeins
- 106 Little Boy Blue (CE), 2 skeins, and
- 108 Bluebell (CF), 2 skeins.
- Please note this yarn has been discontinued but Lion Brand Vanna’s Choice is a great substitute. Or approximately 70 yds (64 m) in CA, 160 yd (146 m) in CB, 230 yd (210 m) in CC, 235 yd (215 m) in CD, 265 yd (242 m) in CE, and 340 yd (311 m) in CF in any medium weight yarn.
- US H-8/5 mm crochet hook, or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 6 boxes x 6 boxes in pattern = 4” (10 cm). Exact gauge is not critical for this project.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- BL – back loop only
- CA – Color A
- CB – Color B
- CC – Color C
- CD – Color D
- CE – Color E
- CF – Color F
- ch – chain
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- Rnd(s) – Round(s)
- sc – single crochet
- sk – skip
- sl st – slip stitch
- sp – space
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- + Rep instructions after plus sign as indicated.
- () Rep instructions between parentheses into same st or sp.
- Blanket is crocheted in one piece in rows from corner to corner using a variation of the diagonal box stitch. I’ve included a video tutorial for this stitch below.
- If you can’t see the video above, click here to watch it on YouTube.
- Stitch pattern is reversible, so choose best side as right (front) side before starting to crochet border.
- Border is crocheted in the round with right (front) side facing.
- To adjust size, continue repeating Row 3 until straight edge reaches your desired length.
- With CA, ch 5.
- Row 1: Turn, sk 3 (counts as ch-3 sp), dc in next 2 ch. (1 box)
- Row 2: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 sts, dc in next 2 st, (sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in ch-3 sp of previous row. (2 boxes)
Increase to center
- Row 3: Ch 5, turn, sk 3 sts, dc in next 2 st, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across. (Increases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 4-7: Rep Row 3, 4 times.
- Row 8: Rep Row 3, changing to CB in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CA.
- Rows 9-16: Rep Row 3, 8 times.
- Row 17: Rep Row 3, changing to CC in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CB.
- Rows 18-25: Rep Row 3, 8 times.
- Row 26: Rep Row 3, changing to CD in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CC.
- Rows 27-33: Rep Row 3, 7 times.
- Row 34: Rep Row 3, changing to CE in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CD.
- Rows 35-39: Rep Row 3, 5 times.
- Row 40: Rep Row 3, changing to CF in last yo of final st of row. Fasten off CE.
- Rows 41-46: Rep Row 3, 6 times.
Decrease to end
- Row 47: Turn, sl st in first 2 sts, *(sl st, ch 3, 2 dc) in next ch-3 sp of previous row; rep from * across to last ch-3 sp, sl st in ch-3 sp. (Decreases by 1 box ea row)
- Rows 48-52: Rep Row 47, 5 times. Fasten off CF.
- Row 53: Turn, join CE with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 47 from * across.
- Rows 54-58: Rep Row 47, 5 times. Fasten off CE.
- Row 59: Turn, join CD with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 47 from * across.
- Rows 60-65: Rep Row 47, 6 times. Fasten off CD.
- Row 66: Turn, join CC with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 47 from * across.
- Rows 67-74: Rep Row 47, 8 times. Fasten off CC.
- Row 75: Turn, join CB with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 47 from * across.
- Rows 76-83: Rep Row 47, 8 times. Fasten off CB.
- Row 84: Turn, join CA with sl st to first ch-3 sp, rep Row 47 from * across.
- Rows 85-92: Rep Row 47, 8 times. Fasten off CA.
- Rnd 1: Join CB with sl st in any corner starting with vertical box, ch 1, sc in same vertical st and in next vertical st, *3 sc in next horizontal st (ch-3 sp or side of dc), sc in next 2 vertical sts;** rep from * to last st of row, sc again in same st, ch 2, turn and continue working along next side, +4 sc in next horizontal st (ch-3 sp or side of dc),++ sc in next 2 vertical sts; rep from * to ** to last horizontal st of row, rep from + to ++; ch 2, turn and continue working along next side, ***2 sc in next vertical st, sc in next horizontal st, rep from * to ***, sc in first st, join with sl st to top of first sc. Fasten off CB.
- Rnd 2: Join CC with sl st in any corner ch-2 sp, (ch 3, dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in same sp, *dcBL in next st, ch 1, sk 1 st, rep from * to corner ch-2 sp,** (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next ch-2 sp; rep from * around, ending last rep at **, join with sl st to top of first ch 3. Fasten off CC.
- Rnd 3: Join CF in any corner ch-2 sp, ch 1, [(2 sc, ch 2, 2 sc) in ch-2 sp, scBL in next 3 sts, * (working behind ch-1 sp, dc in next st from Rnd 1), scBL in next st; rep from * to last 2 st before corner ch-2 sp, scBL in next 2 sts] 4 times, join with sl st to first sc. Fasten off CF.
- With yarn needle, weave in ends. Spray block if necessary.