Welcome to the Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long! If you’re just learning about the CAL, read this post for more details and links to the rest of the crochet-a-long.
Today, I’m sharing the second clue in the Picnic Basket Shawl pattern. We’ll be continuing to work through Rows 4-6.
This post contains affiliate links.
If you’re feeling impatient or want an easy-print format, you can opt to buy a PDF version of the pattern on Craftsy! Please note the pattern was updated on Craftsy today, so download it again if you purchased it before :).
Picnic Basket Shawl Crochet-a-Long Week 2
Crochet Pattern by Underground Crafter
- Adult: 48” (122 cm) wingspan x 12” (30.5 cm) width unblocked; 52” (132 cm) wingspan x 16” (40.5 cm) width blocked.
- Malabrigo Yarn Sock (3.5 oz/100 g/440 yds/402 m/100% superwash Merino wool) – 2 skeins 120 Lotus, or approximately 770 yds/704 m in any super fine weight yarn.
- US Size E-4 (3.5 mm) crochet hook or any size needed to obtain gauge.
- Yarn needle.
- 1 motif in pattern = 3” (7.5 cm) wide unblocked. Exact gauge is not critical for this project. Gauge is measured across widest point of motif in Row 5 or Row 8, so I will share more details below.
Abbreviations Used in This Pattern
- ch – chain
- cl – cluster – (Yo, insert hook in st, yo and draw up a loop, yo and draw through 2 loops) twice, yo and draw through all 3 loops on hook.
- dc – double crochet
- ea – each
- rep – repeat
- sc – single crochet
- sp(s) – space(s)
- st(s) – stitch(es)
- t-ch – turning chain
- yo – yarn over
- * Rep instructions after asterisk as indicated.
- Row 4: Turn, ch1, sc in same st, (ch5, sc in next ch-5 sp) twice,* (ch2, cl in ch-1 sp) 4 times, ch 2,** (sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5) 4 times, sc in next ch-5 sp; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 2 ch-5 sps remaining, (sc in next ch-5 sp, ch 5) 2 times, sc in third ch of t-ch.
- Row 5: Turn, ch 5 (counts as dc + ch-2 sp, here and throughout), sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5, *sc in ch-5 sp, 2 dc in ch-2 sp, ch 1, (3 dc in ch-2 sp, ch 1) 3 times, 2 dc in ch-2 sp,** (sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5) 3 times; rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with 2 ch-5 sps remaining, sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5, sc in ch-5 sp, ch 2, dc in last st.
- Row 6: Turn, ch4 (counts as dc + ch-1sp), (cl, ch1, dc) in ch-2 sp, *sc in ch-5 sp, ch5, (sc in ch-1 sp, ch 5) 4 times, sc in ch-5 sp,** [dc, ch 1, (cl, ch 1) 3 times, dc] in ch-5 sp, rep from * across, ending last rep at ** with ch-2 sp remaining, (dc, ch 1, cl) in ch-2 sp, ch 1, dc in third ch of t-ch.
You can watch this week’s video for a walk through of Rows 4-6. If you can’t see the video below, click here to watch it on YouTube.
If you’re measuring your gauge (I know many of you won’t!), it should measure 3″ (7.5 cm) across the widest point of the [dc, ch 1, (cl, ch 1) 3 times, dc] in ch-5 sp part of Row 5. I show the section again in the video if you need more information.
© 2015 by Marie Segares (Underground Crafter). This pattern is for personal use only. You may use the pattern to make unlimited items for yourself, for charity, or to give as gifts. You may sell items you personally make by hand from this pattern. Do not violate Marie’s copyright by distributing this pattern or the photos in any form, including but not limited to scanning, photocopying, emailing, or posting on a website or internet discussion group. If you want to share the pattern, point your friends to this link: http://undergroundcrafter.com/picnic2015. Thanks for supporting indie designers!
For the full crochet-a-long schedule, visit the CAL announcement here.
- Don’t forget to add the Picnic Basket Shawl to your Ravelry favorites!
- Ravelry members, join us here in the Underground Crafter group to chat. Use project tag picnic2015.
- Facebook friends, say hello here on the Underground Crafter page.